Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Eight Years


Eight years ago today I woke up in my old bedroom at my parent's house. I opened my eyes the moment the sun crept through the window and realized that it was finally here, wedding day! Seriously I went from sleeping to wide awake and totally excited. Then I realized that it was still really early and I had to wait all day to talk with or see Eric. How was I going to make it all day without talking to Eric? Why had we chosen to have a wedding later in the day? We should have scheduled a 5am wedding, that's acceptable right?

The night before had been the wedding rehearsal and dinner, it was strange to have friends and family, from all over, meeting up for one event. We did the rehearsal and it was fun and easy going. Our nephews were running around like lunatics, people were chatting, it was just so nice and laid back. We went to dinner at a local Chinese buffet, mostly because it had vegan options and not so much for the high quality of food. Some of our friends had never met, while others hadn't seen each other in years. They all hit it off marvelously. After the rehearsal dinner my Dad and Eric took me back to the church (which had a good sound system) and played some music that they had made for me; it was one of the best moments of my life.

Back to the morning of June 16th, 2001; I went out to brunch with my bridal party and most of the rest of the day was sort of a blur. I was very calm and I was cataloging funny stories that I wanted to tell Eric later that day. I painted my nails, did my hair and makeup before we left for the church.

When I finally got to the church I was ready, ready, ready. Unfortunately we still had a long time to wait. Little wedding day dramas popped up, but they didn't even register on my radar. I just wanted to see my best friend. What a cruel thing to do to people on their wedding day, one of the biggest days ever and the betrothed are not supposed to see or speak to each other until the big reveal.

Finally, it was time. My friends filed out ahead of me, just as we had practiced at rehearsal the night before. I was standing outside the church with my Dad (who also married us, one of the perks of having a pastor for a father) when a friend showed up late. She started crying. I am not really sure why, but then I wanted to cry. The calm of the day disappeared. I think more than anything I was very nervous to walk in front of friends and family when all I wanted to do was be with Eric. I started singing a ridiculous song in my head to keep the tears from falling. I didn't want to be a bride who makes her grand entrance while sobbing hysterically. I was wearing waterproof mascara, but I didn't really want to put it to the test. Singing the song in my head calmed me down and soon I was trying not to laugh.

It was time to walk down the aisle. I had my tears under control and I looked straight ahead at Eric. He looked so handsome. I knew he would, but wowee. We made eye contact and sent our silent brain waves, you know the ones that couples send back and forth (those really creep out my brother Sam), and we were both just so happy to be there at that moment on that day. Once I made it down the aisle I glanced around the room and spotted my family and all was right in the world.

The service was wonderful. It was so special to have my father walk up the aisle with me and just turn around and perform the service. The best part of the wedding day was immediately after the ceremony when Eric and I had just a few minutes alone in a back room to see each other and realize that we were married. Married!

Now, eight years later I never, for one second, forget how blessed I am to have married this wonderful man. Being married is super cool!

11 comments:

Tammie said...

ooh happy anniversary!

..... Carmen said...

Happy eight years to you & Eric!

Emily said...

Happy Anniversary! You share your thoughts on the day so well. Enjoy your day, and I hope you guys get to go celebrate!! =)

AKM said...

Happy anniversary to a super couple! Make it special! (I know you will!)

affectioknit said...

So Sweet!!! Happy Anniversary!!!

the dwellers said...

You have a beautiful wedding story! Happy 8th Anniversary!

Annie said...

Happy anniversary! Your gown is real pretty. :-)

Marriage doesn't really mean that much to me but it would be nice and wise to get married for the children's sake. We've been thinking about getting married when the children are big enough the enjoy and understand the occasion too. And it's always nice to plan a very individual wedding. :-) I would actually like to get married several times, each in different style - but that takes time and money.

Stacy said...

Happy anniversary to you two!

Our Green Nest said...

Happy anniversary!!!!!!!!!!

Robin said...

I remember a couple days before your wedding, and I was scouring airline tickets to see if I could somehow make it down to see you two. Yep, never happened. Boo.

Happy Day to you two!

Victoria said...

We were honored and happy to be there! Happy Anniversary!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...