Saturday, June 13, 2009

Locks of Love: Another Reason My Mom is AWESOME!

My Mom has very long hair; it's also quite thick, like as thick as your arm. She also has this habit of being incredibly giving. She quietly donates as needed; she gives blood, volunteers for everything and even gives her hair. Generally her generosity is quiet and under the radar, as she would prefer it, but yesterday was a little different...

My Mom works as an oncology nurse and encounters patients who lose some or all of their hair during the course of their treatment. Yesterday, at her work, was a cancer survivor celebration barbecue. My Mom chose this day to give her hair to Locks of Love which makes wigs, mostly for children who suffer from hair loss. As part of the event she asked one of her patients, who has lost her hair to cancer, to do the honors of cutting off her long hair. My Mom used the opportunity to draw attention to two causes that are near and dear to her heart, what a clever lady.

First, let me note that the above photo is not her normal hairstyle, she had it separated for donation. Eric and I stopped by her office for the event, which ended up being an EVENT.

Mom had an entourage of friends, patients (friends), reporters, photographers and camera crews following her around. The barbecue and hair cutting ended up on two local news stations and in the paper. She was not quite comfortable with all of the attention, but it was well worth it.

Sharyn (above) is a cancer survivor who has lost her own hair to cancer. My Mom was quick to point out that her donation, while dramatic, was nothing compared to those who quietly lose their hair as a result of cancer treatments.

Sharyn nervously set to work chopping off my Mom's hair. It took quite a while because, as I mentioned, my Mom has some crazy thick hair.


The crowd applauded as each ponytail was removed.

After the cutting was complete my Mom stood with Sharyn while we all oohed and ahhed.
Here she is after the chopping and before the styling that soon followed. She later told me that when she walked into the hair salon one of the stylists looked up and nervously asked, "Did someone do that to your hair?" Apparently she thought my Mom had been to the worst hairdresser on the planet.


Finally, here she is with her beautiful new hair-do. I'm so lucky to be her daughter.

14 comments:

Chrissy said...

OMG your mom could be your sister. Bet u get that a lot? What a great thing for your mom to do... She looks fabulous w/her new 'do'...

Anonymous said...

Wow. That is awesome!
Your mom looks great with her new hairstyle.

Elizabeth said...

you look so much like your beautiful mom!

what a very sweet thing for her to do with all her lovely hair!

Emily said...

What an amazing thing to do. I can see why you are proud to be her daughter! And her new hairdo is very pretty.

Stacy said...

Your mom does rock! How wonderful of her.

Sarah Kramer said...

I love your Mum!!

..... Carmen said...

What a beautiful gift you Mom gave!

Anonymous said...

What a strange experience to be treated as a rock star for a haircut! Yep, some people can build skyscrapers, cure diseases, write beautiful music or create lovely art. I had a moment of fame for my ability to grow hair. It's a funny world! Thank you all for your kind words, though. It really was a fun day. I spend my days with patients who are so incredibly brave; it was wonderful to have an event in their honor. To have my beautifully loving daughter and sweet and talented son-in-law join the fun was special. I am a woman who has been so very blessed.

Tha Mom

shellyfish said...

That's so wonderful! You're mother is just the coolest!

AKM said...

Your mom is an angel, and so are you!

Blessings,
AKM

affectioknit said...

SWEET! That's an awesome donation!

sophie said...

your mum is so wonderful! my mum lost all her hair with her cancer treatment and she really mourned losing it as it was long and thick and she really loved it. reading stories like this make me so teary and joyful for beautiful people like your mum.

Anonymous said...

I did this 4 years ago and it is such a great feeling to help such an amazing cause. :-)

Meg

Robin said...

Your mom rocks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...