Friday, June 12, 2009

What To Keep

Last night Eric and I had a long talk about what we pack around with us. We just moved and got rid of a lot of excess baggage, but as we are acquiring all of the little things that go with having a child we are realizing that we want to rid ourselves of even more of the unnecessary objects that we pull around from place to place. I love the idea of all of my stuff having a specific function (yes, sentimentality is considered a function) or purpose for taking up space.

First we started a project pile. We have loads of little unfinished projects that are just waiting to be complete, we decided to give all of those projects a home. Now, when we are bored we can just go and complete something from that pile. We were able to cut through some clutter (how many pairs of giant sunglasses do we actually need?) and get together a few things to take to the local thrift stores. It is so liberating to let go of junk.

Then we hit on the sentimental stuff and we began to wonder just what is worth keeping and what is not? For instance we will always have the above panda bear with the duct taped arm. Eric loved it so much when he was a little boy and it's just not something either of us feels he should throw out. So, while it has little function in our lives it will remain with us, living in a trunk with a few other super sentimental objects.

What do you have that you just cannot part with?

11 comments:

Stacy said...

I have a teddy bear given to me for a 5th or 6th birthday from my friend Kirsten. I'll never part with him. Love that stuff!!

Chrissy said...

I have soo many... I still have a bear my cousin's uncle gave me... I keep all of my kids' cards, letters, even projects from elementary school.. From Eric, I keep airline stubs, pressed flowers, cards... But those things are in my end table.. I have my grandfather's pocket watch, Notre Dame pin and medal. My mom gave me my handprint from kindergarten.. I could go on and on!.. lol. yes i am sentimental.. Now your husband's bear, I would definitely fix the arm, or get rid of it...

Maria Rose said...

I think we'll leave it with the duct tape, I think it adds to it's charm. Plus, it's not on display.

Emily said...

That panda bear looks so happy and well loved. I still have my teddy bear (named Rufus) and my soft yellow blanket with worn silk edges. They are tucked away in a drawer, but my girls like to get them out now and then and have me tell them about when I was a little girl. Some stuff you just can't part with!

affectioknit said...

Oh so many things - I'm not a pack rat but I am very sentimental...

E.K. said...

Get rid of my bear? Preposterous! Although I will say it looks like pure evil in this photo.

the dwellers said...

Brent had some very special toy tractors from when he was little that no one could touch or play with... that all changed when his own kids were born. :)

..... Carmen said...

Nate and I both allowed ourselves to keep one box filled with things we can't part with. Some of my items include a cabbage patch doll, some favorite Dr. Seuss books, and my flute.

Robin said...

Everything! I'm a pack-rat.

sophie said...

I can let go of almost anything. I have a few things of my mum's, which I will never part with but I am not a sentimental person at all. Unfortunately Siena, Lucia and Andrew love to hoard (I hope Eva is like me) so I am constantly fighting a losing battle with them!

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

I am not sentimental about objects at all, but I would never get rid of 2 items- a music box + the charm bracelet from when my mom lived in Germany, the bracelet is filled with charms from all the places she visited during those 2 years. Besides those items, I have a box of photos, but that's about it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...