Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Protected

It's a strange thing to be pregnant. I mean, not just the part where I am growing a human inside of me, although that is pretty darn weird. I am talking about how people have become more protective of me since I have really started to wield the power of the pregnant belly. Eric has always been a complete gentleman, but now there is an added tenderness and a hint of extra concern as I stumble around through the last couple months (just under two months if you want to be accurate). My mom has taken to walking on the street side of the sidewalk when we are out together.

Photobucket


It's not just friends and family, but strangers as well. I have noticed that people are a bit more polite about letting me cross the street and they hold doors even when I am approaching from a long way off. I also enjoy the polite smiles and kind words. Though I must note one strange woman stared at my belly with a shocked look, as though she had never seen such a thing as a pregnant lady, that made me laugh.

Anyway, I remember those days before I was pregnant (seems like I've been pregnant forever) when I felt a bit extra protective of our pregnant ladies. We, or at least I, tend to think of pregnant ladies as more than just belonging to themselves, but sort of as property of everyone. Isn't that weird? I really don't mind this phenomenon. I think it must be something deeply ingrained in us as a species. I mean, sure we are protective of babies and children, but pregnant ladies fall into the same category.

It kind of reminds me of early childhood, that feeling of being so protected. Don't get me wrong, I love my independence, but it is oddly familiar to have other people so concerned for my safety. I wouldn't be surprised if people offered to hold my hand as I cross the street. Now, I suppose I could find this to be a little annoying, but instead it makes me feel really happy about this little girl. I know that all of this attention will soon be transferred onto her and she will be SO watched over, it's nice to give this support system a trial run for her.

With that said I will certainly be quite happy to be able to trip and fall in peace once I am no longer pregnant. Now I worry about stumbling (one of my hobbies) because I know it will draw gasps from horrified onlookers. I may give someone a heart attack if I take one of my signature tumbles or trips.

12 comments:

Stacy said...

Yeah, no one wants to see a pregnant lady fall flat on her belly!

..... Carmen said...

You are looking wonderful Maria! It is interesting the extra attention a pregnant lady draws isn't it. I also notice the opposite, where people pretend not to notice (such as on public transportation) because they just DON'T want to have to give up their seat. I find you are either noticed, or intentionally not noticed - both generating attention.

Emily said...

I so enjoyed the pregnancy protection stage. I was carrying a tray full of food at a restaurant recently and a man walking by me just (kindly) took the tray away and said, "I'll follow you to your seat, ma'am." Cool!

ps--Your belly photo is just beautiful!

Nikki Cardigan said...

You have such a beautiful way of looking at the world Maria.

When you're out, people often bustle busily around you, getting their jobs and errands done. A pregnant belly can induce memories, making people stop and remember. I guess this might be one reason why you are looked after...

Val said...

I think that protection is really part of human nature. We, as a species, really feel the need to protect the youngest members of our society. Pregnant ladies are a very obvious sign to us to help out, often without really realizing it :-)

I still find with my two young daughters that people are very protective. Always making sure we are safe if something 'goes wrong' someplace. It's a nice reminder of how gentle and loving we can all be to each other!

Chrissy said...

Yes, your equilibrium is off when u are pregnant and for obvious reasons... W/my last pregnancy, I couldn't even see my feet! and I did trip, not fun when u are walking down stairs, omg....

Court said...

I know it is weird isn't it? I remember being like, what is this crazy club and all I had to do to get in it was get knocked up??

bobeesah said...

I really enjoyed that protective stage with my first and, now that I'm showing more with this one, now, too. What a great way of thinking about it.

As far as falling, and I am not the most graceful (at ALL!). I've only ever fallen once, and that was a few months ago. I was holding Diego in my arms and down I went. Thankfully I managed to keep him completely safe and scratch-free. I still have a little scar on my knee, but all is well otherwise. :)

Robin said...

I loved the extra attention!

Karlene Kamelle said...

Wow you are really showing now and you look beautiful. :)

Christina Lowry said...

It doesn't end with your pregnancy. I have found a warmth and generosity among people since having Cohen too. Even complete strangers! I have had offers to help me carry the pram down and up stairs, to push my trolly and load things in to my car. Lifts have been held, seats offered and small conversation made all because I am walking around in the world with my baby. It is amazing the sense of community that can bring!

PS. You look so gorgeous and radient. You may not think you are now, but wait until you look back and see these pictures of yourself! :)

Dallas Shaw said...

you look adorable! congrats

dallas
http://dillydallas.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...