Saturday, July 4, 2009

Sweet Teeth

Yesterday was very productive. I spent my morning in a cleaning frenzy. When I say cleaning frenzy I think you might be aided in the mental image of me mopping the ceiling. Yes, I did it, I mopped the ceiling. I only stopped in my frenzy to take a call from my Mom. A friend of hers had seen a stray basset and was afraid we'd lost track of Bumblebee. My Mom called, just to be sure, but mentioned that when she'd told my father about the stray he said something along the lines of, "That would be impossible." It would take something extraordinary for us to lose track of Bumblebee, we're diligent dog parents. I think it stems back from a childhood spent chasing my beagle who had a penchant for running away. Thankfully Bumblebee was lounging lazily on the floor when the call came in, only lifting her head as if to ask,"You gonna get that?"

After the completion of my cleaning frenzy, a lunch break, a walk with Eric and Bumblebee I decided it was definitely time to make vegan peanut butter cookies from this book. You know, just 6 months ago I was a girl who ate very few sweets. I would say I had less than 4 cookies in all of 2008 and even that might be an over-estimation. Now, this pregnancy has me craving sweets all of the time. I have the sense to share the sweets, rather than consume them myself. The weather was cool enough that I wasn't troubled by the heat of the oven.


When the cookie making was complete and sampled we decided to head out and get busy on a baby registry. There is something so gratifying about walking through a store with a scanner gun. I was armed with a list and Eric and I carefully went over the necessities, weighing heavy decisions like rectal or temporal thermometer. Later, we were at the grocery store and I couldn't help but feel a little sense of loss when I realized that I no longer had a scanner.


After the completion of our outing we came home and had some dinner. We had planned to go to the baseball game with the hopes of a local newscaster sighting, but we were suddenly hit with a major storm. I called my Mom and mentioned that it was like a typhoon. She agreed, but said that it must be the mythical Canadian typhoon because it was coming from the north. Anyway, the storm only lasted long enough to end our plans to see the game.


So, I set to work on making more sweets. No, I hadn't eaten all of the peanut butter cookies. I was just eager to try out a cupcake recipe from this book. The cupcakes are for the 4th of July barbecue we are having at my parent's house. I am bringing dessert (cookies and cupcakes). Anyway, I think this may actually be the first time I have made vegan cupcakes and they turned out wonderfully.

9 comments:

jumbleberryjam said...

Mmmm...yumminess! I'm so far behind on reading (had 900 new posts in my Reader!!) But that baby belly from a few posts back is SO cute!! So happy everything is going well. Looking forward to reconnecting. :-)

Emily said...

Man, you had quite a productive day yesterday! The cookies and cupcakes both look delicious. My pregnancy sweets craving is making me drool just looking at the pictures. And yes-- there is power in the scanner gun. =)

Tammie said...

sorry you missed out on the local newscaster extravaganza. i know you were looking forward to it.

the cupcakes look awesome. ive made a few vegan cakes before and no one can ever tell the difference.

Stacy said...

Peanut butter cookies are good for you... protein after all. ;-) Yes, I'm an enabler.

sophie said...

Lovin' your cooking adventures! It all looks so good and tasty.

the dwellers said...

Mopping the ceiling? That is nesting at the highest level :)

Glad you both enjoyed registering for baby gear. If it helps... I've been a parent for almost 10 years and have only taken temps under the arm. Just add 2 degrees and be thankful for digital technology!

Happy 4th!

shellyfish said...

Before being pregnant I'd never craved chocolate and frankly didn't care much about it. However, during my pregnancy, I just thought about it all the time!

Robin said...

You a baker/eater of sweets? Pregnancy is making you weird, or really just a tad weirder.

Would love to try the cookies sometime!

Maria Rose said...

Robin, I think pregnancy is making me more normal...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...