Monday, August 31, 2009

One Year Ago What Did I Know?

I was just wandering around in my external hard drive, looking through photos and wasting time. I began to wonder what Eric and I were up to a year ago today. I found these photos, among others. I also looked back on my blog post for this day last year and looked at us and wondered about how much and how little has changed in the past year.

Photobucket

This time last year we had decided that we were ready to start thinking about becoming parents. We were living in Colorado and it all seemed so simple. Eric had been struggling to find work (art historians are not exactly hot commodities on the job market) and I was working at a job that I really enjoyed, but had little to do with my degree. We wanted to leave the city, but had absolutely no clue what the year to come would hold.

Photobucket

In the past year we have moved to Wyoming, Eric got a job, I quit my job and now we're just days away from holding our baby. I think of this year as the year that we stopped waiting and just started making the changes for ourselves. We made all of this change happen because it was just time. It's weird, because in the midst of all this change it seems that life has become more simple and more clear to us. Eric and I have found a new focus, not just in parenthood, but within ourselves. What a strange year it has been.

Looking back I am now thinking about this time next year and wondering about what tremendous change we will have had in our lives. Of course I am nervous, but mostly I am so excited and thankful.

What were you doing a year ago?

12 comments:

..... Carmen said...

What a beautiful post :) This next year will prove to be just as wonderful as this past year was for you to be sure. The transition you are going through is such a beautiful one! What a neat look back :)

Annie said...

Great post and great pics!

E.K. said...

Dude! After that hair cut you gave me the other night I now have the same hairdo. I also am growing my beard out again...freaksy-fo realz. I look just like I did a year ago. I'm like my own doppelganger.

Pam Brewer said...

We were moving from Casper to Minot, ND. Now, not many people would consider that a move in the right direction, but for us, it's been terrrrrific! Much, much more time with family and the smell of harvest in North Dakota is, to me, like nothing on this earth. I miss my job in Wyoming, however. Gain a lot, lose some. That's the way it goes.

Elizabeth said...

what a lovely pic of you and miss bumblebee!

one year ago . . . i was getting ready to wish my september girl a happy 5th birthday. we were embarking on what was to be a long and hard and lovely and wonderful winter . . .

i'm so excited to "meet" your little gal, too. :) my fingers are crossed for the 9th. it's a good little girl day. :)

Stacy said...

Lovely post friend... great sentiments.

Robin said...

Trying to figure out the motherhood thing! Wow the year flew by fast!

sophie said...

what stunning photos! a year ago I honestly can't remember, nothing major at all actually.

Court said...

hmm... i was getting used to a new job (again) and my kid was just starting to get fun. by that i mean, turning into a toddler but still baby enough to be super sweet.

Tiffany said...

I have been thinking about the past today, too! Three years ago today I began dating my future husband. Back then, we had no idea how much our lives would change simply because he helped me move back to my hometown and start my career. Also, my cousin just had her first child - a girl - today. She had her shower the day before yours! I like seeing these parallels in our lives; it reminds me how we are all connected by our similar, human experiences.

Kate said...

This post ... thanks. I don't really have adequate words, but was thinking over the last year and found this old post of yours. It made me smile at the people you guys are whom I know and yet don't know. I remember you when you were a girl, but love so much reading the words of the woman. This time, although it's close to 2 years old, your words managed what I felt, so I'm gonna move along to bed.

Maria Rose said...

Thank you Kate.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...