Monday, September 7, 2009

Necessary Machines?

My sleep has been broken up in strange new ways this late in pregnancy. Sleeping through the night isn't an option, but I am kind of enjoying the late night wakefulness. I think it helps that I don't have to worry about work or something first thing in the morning. It seems that I wake up each night at around 4am and have some weird random thought to ponder.

Last night, after dreaming that I quit a job because they wouldn't let me wear a cheer leading uniform (????, let's not investigate the deeper meaning of that dream), I woke up. After a few moments of puzzling over my dream my mind began to wonder about all of the necessities in my house and what is actually necessary.

Photobucket

First my mind ran over things like the fridge, the washer/dryer, the oven, the cell phone, the computer. All of them are not necessary, but they really do make my life a lot easier and I would truly miss these items if they were gone.

Next I began to wonder about the secondary items. Things like the microwave, blender, toaster, etc. I think that I have spent more time in the past year moving these items from one home to another than actually using most of them.

Finally I think that there are many items that I could completely do without. For instance the TV. I really don't need it and I am happier when it's off. Eric and I do enjoy watching movies, but we could do that on the computer. The curling iron and hair dryer I think I use maybe 4 times a year tops, yet I still keep them. I was also wondering about the microwave. I use it, but not very much.

What could you easily do without?

12 comments:

E.K. said...

You'd think I could easily do without 400 lamps, but apparently I can't.

Stacy said...

I could do without my DVD player (again, the computer suits me just fine) and my stereo (computer and iPod player work just right).

Tammie said...

i could easily do without a cell phone and i think its one of those inventions that fools us into believing its important, when in fact most people dont actually need one.

Jill said...

I think I could do without the microwave and the dryer (a lot of sun where I live). The oven is a very useful tool to warm things up!
Have you read Better Off? A good non-fiction book on pondering what we need and could go without.

Pam Brewer said...

I could also do without a TV. But I must have a radio. I get most of my news and media entertainment from NPR. Love it.

hazel said...

i could easily do without any videogames
i never ever play videogames yet our family owns an xbox (i guess my brother uses it)

the dwellers said...

No microwave in this house and the only time I miss it is when I need to soften butter quickly. Probably won't be replacing that.

Has the accumulation of all-things-baby triggered your questioning of 'stuff'? Funny how fast our house started looking like a daycare center after we had our first. Cribs, cradles, and legos... oh my :)

Robin said...

The oven! I hate baking...

Mason-Jezek Journal said...

I could get rid of the evil thing next to my bed that wakes me up...no,not Andy...the alarm clock! Andy is pretty much as good as one and doesn't make awful noises either.

PaperLion said...

Interesting question! I'd be more than happy to do without the TV. While there a (very) few interesting programs, for the most part I find it a complete time zapper and try and ignore it as much as possible.

sophie said...

That's hard...I was going to say whiny kids but that's not the answer you were looking for...:-)!! I think the toaster for sure, we NEVER use it, and the icecream maker which is still in box after 2.5 years...

Nikki Cardigan said...

You summed up the needs and wants very nicely. You may find you use the microwave a little more when your girl arrives... maybe?

You know, I love the way you think, then articulate your thoughts. You make me think... so thank you xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...