Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Reading

Do you remember Book It? For those of you who don't know what I am talking about Book It is a rewards program for students. As I recall I had a purple Book It button and for each book I read I received a gold star. Once I accumulated a certain amount of stars I got a free pizza. Obviously the idea was to get kids into the habit of reading. I will let you ponder your feelings about rewarding good behavior with food...

Book 9/2/09
Here is about 4% of our book collection.

I think I was already a good reader before Book It came along. I can't remember a time when I didn't read. I know my parents read to me when I was too little to do it myself. I have memories of reading on snowy nights in my bed by the light of the lamp and feeling sooo intellectual (just so you know the book was Bambi and I was 8 or 9). I remember reading a book about a mummy and a jackal and being too frightened to sleep in my room, so I slept on the extra bed in my brother's room for quite some time.

In college I started a ridiculous project; I set out to read "the classics." The problem is that I did not clearly define what I meant by "the classics" and as a result I have been all over the place with any piece of literature I deem to be a classic. I just finished The Death of Ivan Ilyich and Other Short Stories by Tolstoy and am currently reading Treasure Island by Stevenson. While I am sure that I will not ever make it through "the classics," I am content to keep working on this unattainable goal.

For those of you who are big readers, do you keep books and re-read them? I do. I am not a hoarder by nature, until it comes to books. I keep telling myself that the library does all of the hoarding for me, but there is something about a bookshelf full of my own books that gives me such comfort. I generally pick up my books at thrift stores and garage sales, they aren't heirlooms, but it hurts to let any of them go. I mention this because we've been trying to shift our books around in order to make room for baby and I am realizing just how attached I am to these books. I think the solution is going to be that we box up some of our books for a while. I think it will be like Christmas to open the box in a year or two and find all of my old friends waiting patiently for me to dive back in. We'll see.

I think this year and the next few years to come will be all about re-reading those books I remember so well from childhood and discovering some new books that our daughter will be sure to adore.

16 comments:

Apron Required said...

I, too, am a big reader. My most recent reading goal has been to read 100 (now 50) books in a year. I didn't think it was a lot until I got to about 20. There is no genre in particular that I am attached to. I love the classics and more contemporary literature. I love juvenile and young adult reads. It only needs to have a plot that moves and characters that you can understand/sympathize with even if you don't like them. Good luck with the classics. I recommend Anna and the King of Siam. I don't think it would be a classic but it is a great book and really satisfied my love of history and exotic places.

On my way Home... said...

I totally remember Book It!

Ben said...

Give the Laramie Public Library a call and ask when their next book sale is. If you go on the last day of their sale you can get as many books as you can fit into a box for 25 cents!!! Also, they have a lot of classics. Then you can return my set of Lord of the Rings that you stole.

heather said...

Re-reading old favorites and discovering new ones has been one of my greatest joys as a parent. My son and I used to settle in for 'book marathons' where we'd gorge ourselves on about 30 picture in a row.

You have so much fun ahead of you!!!

Maria Rose said...

Ha ha Ben! You're almost certainly never getting those books back.

Leslie said...

I'm definitely a book hoarder, but gave away about half of my books to the Women's Library Association Book Stacks this spring, and felt liberated by it... But: if you have room for boxes, that's a great way to go.

Ahhhh, Book It!

Emily said...

Love, love, love to read. I definitely keep books. We are absolutely running out of room for them, but I just can't get rid of them. I, too, think of them as friends.

Linda said...

I`ve always been a big reader. I, too, like having a little library of my own (But now most of them are in boxes due to smallish apartment). My very favorites need to be revisited over and over again.

Another excuse for keeping them is that you want to have them available for your own children. When I was a young girl and was bored, I`d always go look in my parents´ book shelves, and then I´d be occupied the rest of the day reading (and faaar into the night, till I´d finished the book. (falling asleep while reading is the most ludicrous idea to me!))

And also research says that children who grow up in houses with well filled book shelves (that are not only for decoration) does better in school, so there! That´s my excuse for keeping my own collection of books!

Amanda said...

I'm with Emily on thinking of books as friends! I could never get rid of one - it feels sacriligious! Lately I've been reading less then ever in my life, although I have always loved books. I put it down to not being able to see quite as well and hope that the reading glasses I've just been prescribed help and I can get back on track again! They should be ready in about 10 days so I'll let you know! ;)

AKM said...

I am addicted to books! I have them everywhere, literally, in stacks because my bookcases are crying and groaning from the weight. I try really hard to only get fiction from the library (since I'll probably only read it once) and only purchase nonfiction from Goodwill/used, but I'm not always so good about this. ;-)

I'm currently reading a light mystery series by Joanne Fluke based on a woman who owns a bakery in rural Minnesota where murders keep cropping up. I think I'm going to tackle the Chronicles of Narnia next. I've never read them!

bobeesah said...

I love books. Diego had books ready for him way before he arrived and he has a great collection of his own in his room. It's something more than wonderful to see your kid go up to their bookshelves and take their time picking out the books they want to read. And his favorites change every week.

I have a hard time trimming down my collection...so we always end up buying one more shelf from IKEA every time we move. Is that bad? Hmmm....

Robin said...

I'm a hoarder of books too! I do have a few faves that I re-read every couple of years. I also have tried reading the classics, but most of them I have to force myself to finish.

..... Carmen said...

I have to admit, I'm not a big reader. It's the very reason I asked some girlfriends to create a book club with me. In a sense it "forces" me to read, but it's also making me into a reader which I love. I find I've started to pick up books to read, aside from our club, just for enjoyment. Something I wouldn't have done a couple of years ago. I love reading all the stories I grew up with to Grace. My husband is a huge reader and I'm hoping his passion for it passes onto our kids, so they don't have to work at it as hard as I do.

Elizabeth said...

i remember Book It! and the free personal pan size pizza from pizza hut. :)

and books - i have piles and piles. a lot of mine are in boxes because our house is just too small to have them all out . . . and yes, i reread and reread my favorites. :)

we also have a quite large collection of picture story books, and my kiddos love to be read to. and i love having the excuse to read the kiddo books to them. :)

pepper said...

i did the same thing, and have a vague notion of 'classics'. i collect books too, though recently had a purge of ones i'd never read again, or probably would never read! it was liberating, but a bit sad at the same time. I like to think they've escaped into the world and find home on other bookshelves..
x Pepper

Stacy said...

We have a used book store on campus and I often take a stack to them to re-sell. I also buy all sort of books from them. I need to actually take in a bunch now. I love reading, even though I haven't been as good at it as of late. My dad used to take me to the library once a week when I was little.... good memories.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...