Thursday, September 3, 2009

Shorter Days

I remember summer nights from my childhood. My parents had rules; I had a bed time. Often this bed time would fall well before it was dark outside. I recall laying in bed, in my hot pink bedroom, and listening as the neighborhood kids continued to play until it was finally dark outside and one by one they were called into their own homes. Maybe that is why I was always the very first kid up in the summer, seriously I was often out riding my bike or walking our beagle at six in the morning, waiting for the other kids to wake up. **Truthfully I was waiting for this particular boy named Chad to wake up. I had a massive 8 year old crush on him. The poor guy really put up with a lot from his teeny blond stalker. His family moved...hopefully it wasn't on account of Chad's 8 year old stalker, moi.**

Inevitably the end of summer began to sneak up. The first clue was that and the days didn't seem as long or as hot as they had just a few weeks earlier.

Photobucket

Now here I am as an adult, listening to the neighborhood kids playing outside. They are getting called in earlier because the days have been sneakily getting shorter. Have you noticed it yet? I was out in the backyard with Bumblebee when I realized it. She was zoning out sniffing bushes and I was just standing there, breathing in the fresh air and enjoying the twilight.

Photobucket

I wandered around the backyard just smelling the delicious smells that seemed to be floating around on the light breeze. Bumblebee seemed to be savoring something hidden in the bushes. I gave her a nudge to push her out of her fugue.

Photobucket

I looked up and realized that in just a few moments it would be dark. I looked at the clock and it was still so early.

Do you realize that we have less than 20 days until the first official fall day? Do you have any last minute summer activities? Now is the time.

9 comments:

Mason-Jezek Journal said...

We are making our annual camping trip to Mora on Sat. Andy and I tried to convince the girls to go somewhere different but they are dead set on going. Cross your fingers for good weather for us! :)

Meg Wolff said...

That was a terrible feeling to be in bed and listening to,"neighborhood kids continued to play until it was finally dark outside and one by one they were called into their own homes." But, good you had a schedule.

Love your clouds!

Anonymous said...

To be fair, your readers who do not live so far North as we did need to know that it easily stayed light until 10:00pm... much too late for an 8 year old to be awake. You must have had some awesome and wise parents! Mom

Elizabeth said...

i was that girl. i too, was lying in bed listening to every one else play . . .

but! it was still light enough to sneak a book and read! and as it got darker, i would hide under my covers with a flashlight and keep reading . . .

and, to your mom, i know, i know, it was too late for me to be up - but it was still light out, and the other kids were my age and younger . . . i had some awesome and wise parents, too. ;)

Stacy said...

No last minute summer activities, although I am looking forward to the apple picking of fall!!

Robin said...

I never knew (or had forgotten) about your crush on Chad... Next time I run into him, I will have to mention it to him!! (that's ok, right?) ;)

Swell Vintage - Frankie said...

wow, these pictures are beautiful! I'm so ready for Autumn x

sophie said...

of course it's the total opposite here, I realised today that it was still light at 5:30pm, it was beautifully dusky and heralded for me the beginning of the warmer months. Hasn't this year just gone too fast, I feel like we haven't even had Winter.

Nikki Cardigan said...

I love your take on the world Maria. You stop, see, think and write about things that others just let pass by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...