Monday, October 19, 2009

Driving in the Eagle with Dad

My father is an amazing dad, but he is also one of my closest friends. I was wondering at what point did I start to become friends with my dad and I think maybe it really began when he gave me driving lessons.

Photobucket

When I was a young pre-teen gal my dad decided that it was time to start driving lessons. We would take the eagle, the older (more disposable) of the two family vehicles, and he would drive us out of town onto a gravel back road. We would talk with each other and I would ask the all important questions like, "Is it called a washboard or a shuffleboard, when the road has those bumps."

Eventually he would stop the car and turn it off and it would be my turn to drive. I would nervously get behind the wheel and turn the key in the ignition. My heart would pound as I nervously put my foot on the gas pedal, looking down to identify gas and brakes. Then my dad would roll down the window and break the tension with a long low "MOOOOOOOO," as he mooed at the cows in a nearby pasture. I would laugh because he has a really convincing moo...or at least I found it convincing, but the cows just glanced up with bored cow eyes.

Over time I became a bit more confident as we would drive on those lonely back roads. Sometimes another vehicle would come along and my dad would offer fatherly advice to just pull to the side, my palms sweating as I would stear the car to the very edge of the road, rolling along at just a few miles per hour. My dad was patient. I also remember just talking with him, kind of like an adult. I think that is when we really started to develop the relationship we now have.

Photo from here.

9 comments:

eLiZaBeTh said...

Plus, you got to drive an eagle...the original sports wagon!

Chrissy said...

I love one on one time with my Grandma!. Even when I stayed at her house overnight it was great being the center of attention between her and my Grandpa!.. he would take great delight in scaring the bejeezus out of me...

kate said...

those were the sweetest cars. ever. thanks for the trip down memory lane...it reminded me of my own dad teaching me to drive a stick shift in a 1981 rabbit convertible. He was so patient, and I was so very horrible;) I went through two clutches in three years, but he never stopped offering to give me "refresher lessons."

affectioknit said...

That's so sweet - My father is dead now - but I definitely have fond memories of him teaching me to drive - in a 3 speed silverado with the shift on the column - no matter how many times I ground those gears he never got upset - I can't say the same about my Mom - who actually yelled at me (totally out of character for her) while trying to teach me to drive...

Robin said...

My Mom would let me drive coming back from piano lessons at Mrs. R's house. I loved that she lived so far out that I could drive for a couple of miles. A few times I even got to drive ALL the way home!

Could this have been the same road?? That or 5 mile...

..... Carmen said...

This post made me smile and think of my older brother who taught me to drive in his lowrider truck, while playing the song "Lowrider" lol :) Thanks for sharing your memory with us :)

sophie said...

What an awesome car, and such great memories! I think my mum taught me to drive in our OLD and so tacky toyota tarago! It was embarrasing to be seen it it!

Court said...

Aw, such good memories you brought back, thanks! I learned to drive on ice, and it sucked, but I loved the time with pops too. I loved the confidence he had in me before I had it, if that makes sense.

AKM said...

I love your stories about your family members. They rock!

Ah, learning to drive...my pops wasn't as patient as yours! LOL!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...