Friday, October 16, 2009

Figuring it all out...kind of.

Eric and I have been figuring out our new normal. We're adjusting to our new roles with great happiness, but not the highest level of organization. I find that we are still pretty scattered as we move forward with Miss Cordelia.

Photobucket

How we have had to adjust
  • We spent a good 20 minutes trying to figure out one of our carrying slings. The sling (which is actually quite simple) comes with an instructional booklet and DVD. Apparently we are not the first new parents to become overwhelmed with fabric as we try to ensure that Cordelia's head is turned to exactly the right position for optimum airflow. The booklet has a smug looking woman easily using the sling to cradle her baby in perfect serenity. After our first attempt we spent several minutes puzzling over the position of her head and the curve of her spine within the confines of the sling. Finally we had to abandon the sling altogether. The next day we figured it out and felt more than a little silly as it really takes like one minute to get everything in perfect order.
  • I am happy if I am dressed by noon. It's not that I can't get dressed any sooner, but nearly every morning I find that I am sucked into a time warp of baby gazing. I will start looking at Cordelia and before I know it hours have passed and I am still in my pj's. Staring with a (I am certain) loony smile on my face.
  • We've lost our punctuality, at least temporarily. When I say "we" I really mean Eric. I am only punctual because I don't want other people to wait on me, but Eric is punctual because it is part of his very soul...maybe that's a bit extreme--just go with it. We are not moving as quickly and efficiently as we did just a few weeks ago. On our first outing we completely forgot the diaper bag. Thankfully the trip lasted only a short while, but it reminded us that we have a whole new system of getting around. We're the classic new parents who are perpetually late. I think some of this goes back to my previous point about baby gazing; we lose track of time as we stare at our baby, or Bumblebee.
  • We are in the diapering and feeding zone and trust me it can be intense and hilarious...for instance, Bumblebee actually notifies us when diapers need changing. She will come up and sniff at Cordelia's diaper and give us a look that says, "You gonna do something about that?"
  • We've just been so happy to be at home in our new little bubble. Previously we were always the go-go-go types and I am sure we still are, but right now we are perfectly content with staying at home.

9 comments:

Hello Lindello said...

haha bumblebee is on top of things. thats so funny and cuute.

marymetcalf said...

How exciting! You guys are waaaay too cute. I'm glad to see that Bumblebee is involved in this whole parenting thing - perfect!

AKM said...

Ha! I love Bumblebee's, er, level of involvement. ;-)

Have a divine weekend!

eLiZaBeTh said...

I was lucky some days if I had showered by 5pm. It is just like that with a new one. By the time you feed them and change them, grab a bite to eat, it is time to feed them again and then change them! You guys are doing great! Don't worry, as long as you don't leave the baby at home and have the diaper bag with you, you'll be fine!

Christina Lowry said...

Great work going on your first outing together. It is a real milestone, isn't it, when you get to go out together for the first time as a family! Even if only a short trip.

I remember the first time Cohen and I were going to go out together alone, Dave had gone back to work and I needed to go pick up some more nappies. It was very nerve racking. Getting baby in and out of the car and pram alone, anticipating his needs, just thinking about it all made me nervous. But we went, I got the nappies and felt comfortable to go out alone with him again. You might not be nervous about it, but if you are then don't worry as it is normal! A friend told me the same thing and it helped me get over the nerves.

PS. When I was pregnant I kept dreaming that I went out and forgot the baby! :)

Pam Brewer said...

I'm impressed that you have time (and energy) to continue to post a blog everyday while adjusting to your new life.

Chrissy said...

I used the sling w/my 3rd... and I could do a lot of housework wearing it... I must say u have that glow... U look at peace....

Emily said...

Yep, you'll figure out your new normal. If I have to be somewhere by 10:00, I try and aim to leave at 9:00. And usually, I can get out the door by 9:45 or so. =)

Robin said...

We were late all the time when Fritz was a wee one, but now I am getting so much better at planning and am able to not be late anymore! Well, almost most of the time.

Wish I had BumB to do the checking for me, that would be great!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...