Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Mom's Brown Suitcase

Photobucket
We were all sitting around the living room at my parent's house this weekend. Talking together with family we hadn't seen in a while. You know how it goes when family gets together. Stories are told, memories are shared. Often we have to relive a few favorite stories, laughing like it's the first time we've ever heard them. Sometimes a new story is thrown into the mix. This past weekend I heard a new story from my mom, about her childhood. I thought the story was so precious and so telling of the generous person my mom has always been. I wanted to share it with you...

When my mom was a little girl she kept her treasured dolls in a brown suitcase and slept with it, just in case there was a fire she'd be able to escape with her prized possessions. She moved a lot as a kid and I think maybe the suitcase was just a way of life for her.

One day she heard that her friend was ill. She now thinks that the girl had chicken pox, but at the time my mom thought her friend was on the brink of death. My mom, being the generous person she is, gave her treasured brown suitcase full of her beloved dolls to the sick girl. How sweet is that?!

She does admit that she was a little surprised when the girl made a full recovery, but she didn't ask for her dolls back. I love my mom.


***On a completely different note, Eric's album was released today! Wahooo. If you want to check it out (and I think you do) you can click right here. I will post an interview with my husband later this week.

5 comments:

AKM said...

What a precious story! Your mom sounds like such a gentle, sweet soul. I think that kindness runs in your family. :-)

Chrissy said...

What a sweet thing for her to do.. Reminds me of when my middle daughter in a Mommy and Me class gave her Gund polar bear to a friend that was crying... Her prized bear that I bought countless ones because she wore them out...

Genevieve said...

That is such a a sweet story.

Robin said...

Your Mom is awesome!

P.S. I used to do this too. Only for some reason I put my toys in a paper bag??

elizabeth said...

wow!
she didn't pick out one for her friend . . . she gave them all. i wonder if she was ever sad afterwards?

eric's music is really interesting. i really like the lyrics to the first song. and i like snippits of lyrics in the other songs. except statue . . . i don't think i could listen to a song about eyeballs flying around on bloody strings . . . but then i remember his vampire and zombie love and it makes perfect sense . . . the sound is very cool. sort of haunting and surreal, yet tangible at the same time . . .

so there. those are my early morning thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...