Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Tea Party

Photobucket

When I was but a wee little lass I loved to have pretend tea parties. Did you do that? I loved the tiny china sets that were just my size. I didn't really care if there was tea to be had, I'd make my own concoction. What might this concoction consist of you may be wondering. Well, I recall one time where I made "tea" out of water and toothpaste (also I made "gum" out of water and toothpaste, I was weird). I can't tell you if I actually drank it, but let's just pretend that I didn't. I am not sure who first introduced me to the tea party or when it became something that I was interested in, but there it was in my childhood. I had tea parties with different family members over the years. It became a way for me to get some one-on-one time with treasured family members like my Aunt Tina and my Grandma Carol.

When my grandmother was visiting this weekend she came up close and in a quiet voice she revealed that she had something to return to me. My aunt ran out to the car to retrieve whatever it may be. My mind raced, trying to think of what I could have accidentally left with her. When my aunt returned a moment later I looked to her hands and couldn't make out what she was carrying up the stairs. I didn't recognize it at first glance. A moment later she produced the child size tea set that you see above. I looked at the box and in the corner was a Christmas gift card that read To Grandma Carol Love Maria. I had given (through my parents of course) it to her and we would use it when I visited. She had returned it for Cordelia to use in the coming years. Hopefully Cordelia will enjoy tea parties with her family in the years to come.

Did you ever have tea parties as a child? If so did you drink tea or make "tea" out of toothpaste and water? What about "gum"?

9 comments:

bel said...

What a pretty tea set! My grandma had a demitasse set that she would let me use when we ate dinner. She put my milk in the little cream pitcher and I would pour myself milk "tea" in a tiny cup. I bet Cordelia will love tea parties if you still do!

belinda

Simbelmynë said...

So sweet of her to keep it!

My daughter (7) and I share tea in a similar set, each cup is about 1/6th of the 1/4 cup that fits in the pot. We can keep a tea bag going all afternoon. Especially if there's sugar!

Sarah Kramer said...

Awww. That's so sweet. :)

Stacy said...

What a great gift! I just know Cordelia will love it.

Sarah said...

Its beautiful, and how nice of her to give it to you now you have Cordelia :)

I also liked to have tea parties when I was little, I think it was mostly time spent on my own though! I used to put water in the tea pot and then ribena in the milk jug to mix in. Hours of fun to be had!

Hello Lindello said...

Sweet story. I loved having tea parties. My grandma actually just gave me her fine china tea set. I've been meaning to throw a tea party!

Beth said...

I did have tea parties with my cat Abby. I would line up all my dolls and blankets and then lay Abby in between the dolls so that you couldn't tell she was not one of them. Later after we got Ruth she would join us and of course Mr. David the turtle. I don't remember ever having tea parties with anybody other then my animals. I would mix kool-aid and most of the time just water. Once I got my first little kitchen then me and Abby stepped it up a whole another notch, I am saving everything for my grandkids and saved all my dolls for Ivy and my fisher price toy town which got broken real fast because I gave it to them to soon. I tried to replace in on ebay but it was way to much money, but I did find the farm set and got them that. Okay I've gone off enough..thanks for sharing

the dwellers said...

That is a treasure!

What great examples of purposefully investing in relationships. Beautiful tradition!

AKM said...

Lovely! What charming traditions you and Cordelia will share.

I didn't really have tea parties per se, but I had a whole little kitchen set and a table and chairs. I was always pretending to cook. Oh, and I LOVED my Easy-Bake Oven! I was forever making little cakes with turquoise frosting and taking them to my poor neighbors. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...