Monday, November 30, 2009

A Bit-o-History

Yesterday evening I took Bumblebee for a walk. It was just the two of us. Eric and Cordelia were warm and snug in our home, waiting for us to return. The air was cool and crisp and the moon was out just after sunset.

Photobucket

I breathed in the cool air, a nice relief from the dry heated air we all breathe throughout the winter. The streets were empty and quiet. I could see smoke coming out of chimneys and lights on in houses. Bumblebee had a jaunty step, yes it was definitely jaunty. Anyway, I just had a moment out there on my walk a nice moment of deep quiet, appreciation and a sense of connectedness. I love those moments.

Later that evening we went over to my parent's house for dinner. My mom made a delicious dish of wild rice and butternut squash. Eric and I relaxed as my parents lavished attention of Cordelia.

I took a moment to look through the worn and weathered book you see below. Yes, it's held together with Christmas tape...not sure why, but it certainly adds a seasonal touch. My grandmother brought the book with her when she was in town last month.

Photobucket

The book is an old Norwegian Bible. From the early 19th century. The tape was a later addition, in case you were wondering.

Photobucket

Back in the day most families recorded their histories in the family bible and mine was no different. The blank pages in the front and back are completely covered in family history. Birth dates, death dates, marriages and more were all meticulously recorded over the years. The earliest date I found was 1815! What an amazing thing to still have in our family. Does your family have something like this?

8 comments:

affectioknit said...

We do - I just love family history!

Emily said...

I wish we had something written down like that. Fifteen years ago we video taped my grandmother telling her life story. She passed away when my girls were 10 months old, so I'm so glad I have that to preserve some of our family history.

elizabeth said...

as usual, your posts make me smile.
i love the feeling of being out in the cool and knowing that my family is inside in the warm, knowing that they'll welcome me when i return.

i have quite a few things that belonged to my grandmas - and stories to go with them. i need to sit with my grandma and ask her a list of questions i've been working on . . .

that Bible is pretty special!

Linda said...

I didn´t know you had Norwegian blood in you! I think my grandmother has a few keepsakes, but I don´t think she has anything as old as this!

Stacy said...

We have my father's mother's Bible. She died before I was born so it's nice to have it!

Annie said...

PS. Already found a Finnish book and magazine.

..... Carmen said...

Wow - that is amazing! Unfortunately we don't have anything like that in our family, but I wish we did. What a treasure!

AKM said...

We have a black-and-white photo of my great-grandpa and his parents and siblings taken in 1915 or so. Last year I did a genealogy project for a class and it was amazing. I traced one side of my family back to Wales in the late 1600s!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...