Thursday, November 5, 2009

Hair, Unitards and the Death of a Dream

What does super long hair have to do with unitards you may be wondering. Well my friend let me tell you a tale...

Several years ago, as in maybe a decade. I had short hair. I always had short hair. I was always cutting it and coloring it. I had never had long hair. Eric and I were talking about it, who knows why, and we made a friendly wager. He bet that I couldn't grow my hair all the way to my bum because I was too impatient to wait for it. Well I took that bet. What would I win if I managed to get my hair to grow that long? Eric promised to publicly wear a spandex unitard just like Freddie Mercury.

Photobucket

So, for the past decade I have grown my hair, desperately trying to get it to the length reserved only for women in cults. I have tried it all, but it has reached it's max length.

Photobucket

I have to give it up. My hair will never reach my bum, oh Crystal Gale how did you do it? So Eric can rest easy knowing that there is no spandex unitard looming in his future.

Now, don't assume this means I am off to go and get a hair cut. I just need to face reality. Really, it's liberating.

12 comments:

E.K. said...

Boo-yah! Well now you can get that Kate Gosselin hair-style you've been obsessing about lately ;)

Chrissy said...

your hair is gorgeous, i bet it can get to your behind.. mine did.. trick is to get it trimmed every 6 weeks or so... oh, when i was preggers the second time around, my hair grew a foot in 9 mos... guess the hormones kicked in..:-)

Annie said...

Both pics are great. That unitard is so cool - shame you couldn't grow your hair long enough. :-)

I've had all hairstyles in the past, but now I will never give up my long hair.

AKM said...

That is a hilarious wager!

I've tried in vain to grow mine that long as well (for Locks of Love), but I can't do it, either. It gets to a certain length and it just gets scraggly and unkempt-looking, no matter how much conditioner/serum I use.

I lopped off many inches last week and I love it. I think I will go shorter and shorter and then in March...I may shave my head for St. Baldrick's. :-)

affectioknit said...

That's such a funny bet! When I was in Jr. High my hair reached my bum - I was quite proud that I could sit on it in class. I never let it get that long any more - because every two years like clockwork I have 12 inches cut off to donate to Locks of Love...

Stacy said...

I think Eric should still do it. Great bet!

Sarah Kramer said...

And that's exactly why I love you guys ... :)

Beth said...

have you tried mane and tail..you know the horse shampoo. I bet if you use this for a little bit your hair will reach your butt! give it a try and it smells really good.

..... Carmen said...

I'm impressed with how long your hair is - growing hair long after being used to short hair, is quite the task. I think Eric should at least wear some partial spandex given how close you came to your attempt! Perhaps send him out for a coffee for you in some spandex shorts? lol

sophie said...

I am in the process of growing my hair - it's in that annoying stage right now, right at my shoulders and I want to cut it so badly!! i am just wearing pony tails every day!

I would be SO SCARED to see my hubby in a unitard, I would be terrified that i would get turned off permanently - images like that burn into the brain.

Robin said...

This is one of my MOST favorite photos of you! So gorgeous babe.

Elizabeth said...

i've thought that about my hair, too. that it's just stuck where it is, just passed my shoulders. i'd love for mine to get down to somewhere between my ah-hem, bra-strap and the small of my back. but it seems stuck right at my shoulder blades. i may have to try the more frequent trimming and the mane and tail shampoo . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...