Sunday, December 6, 2009

Ever Expanding Heart

Don't worry, tomorrow I will give you a report on our wonderful date in celebration of our 12 year anniversary, but I wanted to just share a little bit of something that Eric and I were talking about.

Photobucket

We were chatting about Cordelia and parenthood and our amazing relationship and how it just feels like there's no more room, but each day we love each other, our families and our daughter even more than the day before. Eric mentioned that he had been watching an interview with Minnie Driver and she happened to discuss the same topic and she called it the ever expanding heart.

I love the term and I feel like that is really what is at the core of all of this business of being human, if you do it right you do get to experience the joy (and sometimes the pain) of the ever expanding heart. I just thought it was beautiful and simple and I wanted to share.

9 comments:

Pam Brewer said...

What an interesting concept--also gives food for thought. The trick is not to contract when pain comes. I think it's human instinct and a defense mechanism to contract with pain, but I guess what I mean is, not to stay contracted for so long that it becomes a way of life.

Chrissy said...

It is beautiful... and I discovered mine after having 3 kids... Children do enhance not only your life but your heart... as well as trials and tribulations... u will be amazed at how much u can endure and learn...

..... Carmen said...

That was beautiful, and so true. I sometimes think, how can I love another child more than Grace, and then (from what I hear anyways), as you said, your heart expands, and you just do. It's truly wonderful :) It seems there is always more room - for more friends, more family, just more.

Emily said...

I love that phrase, "the ever expanding heart"-- it could be the title of a song or a poem. And I love the idea behind it too, because it is very true indeed!

Beth said...

I agree whole heart-ed-ly :)

T.J. and I celebrated our 12th anniversary this year ourselves. I honestly can say that our relationship sometimes can not hold up to all the growth our hearts have expanded too. I can look at my husband after 12 years and get that giddy feeling in my stomach. Sometimes I just want to squeeze him to death. We have always put our relationship first before the children. They were just extra bonus's, but they did not consume us, or steal our love for each other. To this day our kids love it when we kiss and hug. I never could of imagined I would find such a wonderful husband at 19..but I did! Congrats you two!

Annie said...

Yes, there's never enough love in this world. So we should try to expand our love also to those who were never loved.

affectioknit said...

I totally agree - it's so Grinch - your heart growing I mean...

eLiZaBeTh said...

I like what the first comment from Pam says about not contracting when the pain comes. the pain will come and with it, experience. I think that the love for your child is so intense that it is painful. That you love someone so much, it is terrifying. But wonderful.

Nikki Cardigan said...

I agree too. Just when you think you couldn't possibility love someone any more, you do. It's awesome.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...