Monday, December 7, 2009

First Date, Twelfth Year

Saturday was our anniversary, the anniversary of our first kiss and the day we became a couple. Every year we celebrate this day, but this year we had another issue to be dealt with before we could go on our traditional date. We had quite a new development in this past year, we became parents and it was time for the first trip to the babysitters...gulp...

Photobucket

OK, well it wasn't that difficult since the babysitters were my family. Cordelia knows them and is perfectly at ease around them. The real issue was our ability to be away from her. I spent the day gathering up my courage and during the late afternoon we made the trek across town to drop our little lady off with my family.

I gave her to my parents and suppressed my urge to blurt out obvious instructions like "don't forget to change her diaper" or "she likes to be held," as I think that would be a little bit insulting. Anyway, we pulled ourselves away and were determined not to spend our date speculating about how she was doing. We got into the car and looked into the empty backseat. We made eye contact with each other and smiled. We began to drive away and as we did we looked up. My dad was holding Cordelia in their front window, she was fine, just looking around. We smiled up at them and drove off into the night.

We were headed to a very traditional date night, dinner and a movie. The roads were icy so it was slow going as we chatted on the way to the theater. It was lovely to chat with Eric. I can't believe it's been 12 years and he just keeps getting more fascinating and wonderful.

We got to the theater and settled into our seats whispering and making dumb jokes here and there. Then the movie started. We held hands. In case you are wondering we went and watched Zombieland. We are serious fans of the zombie genre. The day I had Cordelia we were planning to go and see the movie, so it was only fitting that we watch it on our first date.

After the movie was out we went back to the car and got a text from my mom that all was well. We decided to head out and get some grub.

Photobucket

Here is my handsome date, wearing one of his many layers to ward off the arctic temperatures that have invaded Wyoming.

Photobucket

We had a wonderful dinner. Thank goodness there are some restaurants here that have vegan options for us.

Photobucket

I had almost nothing to eat all day so I really chowed down at dinner. YUM!

Photobucket


We also had to toast with our traditional anniversary cups. We got these on our first anniversary and since they are so ridiculous, they look like fish choking on trumpets, we always have to use them. They are also nearly impossible to drink out of.

Photobucket

After dinner we went and picked up Cordelia from my parents, who offered to keep her. When we got home that night we discovered that Bumblebee had gotten into Cordelia's dirties (if you know what I mean) and then when Eric was changing her he discovered that my parents had put the shirt you see in the above photo onto our daughter underneath her clothes (superman style). In case you are wondering it reads, What Happens at Grandma's, Stays at Grandma's.

So all in all it was a very successful night. We managed to leave Cordelia with my parents which is a big step for any first time parent and we had a wonderful night with each other. I love my husband and I am so grateful that we get to start another year together! ZING

11 comments:

Annie said...

Sounds nice. We still go out with the kids or separately even though the girl is now 2,5 years old. And I won't take them to daycare until the girl's five. But we're both fine with it. I love to go out on my own every now and then. Otherwise I would get bored with my husband. :-)

Mason-Jezek Journal said...

Sounds like an awesome time! Sneaky, sneaky grandma...too cute! Makes me wonder what they got up to? Hmm...? :)

affectioknit said...

That's so funny - they snuck the little onesie in there...

eLiZaBeTh said...

Awesome onesie...your parents sound cool. I am glad that you had a good first night out...it's nearly impossible not to still talk about your little one, isn't it? She is darling, Maria! Oh, I love the pendent lights in the restaurant, they are sweet!

Anonymous said...

She is such an easy baby to have around. Grandpa walked her all over the house, showing her stuff. I think she was scoping out what she'd like to get into when she's more independently mobile! We'll soon have to do the baby-proofing thing!
Mom

Nikki Cardigan said...

How AWESOME are your folks and brother! Aside from looking after your girl, sending her home with that top is PRICELESS. But I suspect it is a warning... Cordelia and her grandparents and uncles are going to get up to all sorts of mischief (which they will blame on each other) and then pinky-swear to not tell you and Eric about it!

Stacy said...

You are lucky to have someone as wonderful as Eric. It's something I dream of.

Clotilde M said...

A really precious baby! I'm sure that's grandma's little cutie.

Emily said...

I'm glad you guys had fun! It looks like Cordelia had fun too. =)

Simbelmynë said...

Grandparents can be so sweet!
I love the onsie! My kids need t-shirts of that.

sophie said...

Good on you for getting out and having couple time, it's so important. So lovely for coredlia to have specila time with the grandparents, and how cute is her little onesie!! I bet at grandma's she was just spoilt rotten!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...