Sunday, December 20, 2009

Footprints and Other Impressions

Eric took this photo a few days ago. He was really struck that the footprints were remaining in the snow and that everything else was melting or had blown away. Sure the footprints were still there because the snow had been packed in by some person who had passed by. They surely didn't know that their footprints were still sticking around and making an impression on us.

Photobucket

With that in mind I recently read an article on the stuff we have in our lives and just how important it is or is not in our lives. Eric and I have been going through our stuff, downsizing and just keeping the items we really use and love. Well, the article that I read suggested that one might find more freedom in giving up items of sentimental value or just quality items that we still love, but giving them as thoughtful gifts. You know the necklace that a friend has admired or a book that you think someone in your life might enjoy. Just the idea of thoughtful giving coupled with a sense of personal sacrifice.

I started to think about it and was immediately a bit uncomfortable with the idea of giving up items that I still like. I have been pondering that feeling of discomfort and have decided that I must do it because I don't want things to have more power over me than my desire to give to others. Since then I have been gathering items for people and I hope to distribute them at some point in the near future. It's really quite liberating to just let go.

4 comments:

Chrissy said...

I agree, it is nice to let go.. but one has to be ready to let go... mostly I think its a fear... We all in time do let go of material things, I've found myself doing that.. and it gives a sense of peace.

Stacy said...

I need to purge a little... perhaps when I come back from Buffalo. I have the whole week between Christmas and NYE off. Cleaning and purging would be wonderful!

..... Carmen said...

That is a pretty neat photo :) I can understand the discomfort in letting something go that also holds personal meaning for you. There is probably a right time to give something like that away,and it probably depends on the item in question and what it's significance actually is to you. Was it passed down to you from someone you love who is no longer here, or is it something you purchased for yourself that you really enjoy. There has to be different categories of where that sacrifice or gift would lay. I can understand not wanting to have objects having power over you though or tying you down.

affectioknit said...

I love that the footprints stay...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...