Sunday, January 10, 2010

Cast Iron Skillet

Until I went vegan the thought of a cast iron skillet brought up images of chuck wagons, dinner bells, flapjacks, and cowpoke. Not really sure why... However, since going vegan I learned that it is a great way to add a little extra iron to the diet. That's when I was sucked into the strange world of the skillet. People spend ages seasoning their skillets to perfection and leave them in their wills to someone who will care for the skillet. Who knew?

Photobucket

For Christmas I asked for a cast iron skillet of my very own. I got it and have dedicated much time and attention to my skillet. I realized it's gotten a little out of hand when Eric suggested that I write a book on the skillet. I guess I talk about it more than a normal person should, poor Eric. While I have no intention of writing a book, there have been many, I thought I would mention it in my blog.

Do you have a cast iron skillet? Are you weirdly obsessed with it?

11 comments:

Leslie said...

BUT: is there a cast iron skillet book for VEGANS? I doubt it!

I don't have one, but have a good friend who is decidedly obsessed with his (which, I believe, was his grandmother's!).

Chrissy said...

i have a cast iron grill pan and I love it...it cooks things faster and better... my bf has one just like yours and he loves it too!...lol

pixiepine said...

I got one for a wedding present, but I haven't really been sure what to do with it since I'm vegan.

Jill said...

I love my cast iron skillet. Skillet lovers unite! I use it everyday and never leave it with moisture in it~~or gasp~it will rust!
I have a mini cast iron skillet, a dutch oven, and a soup pot all passed down from my family too :)

Maria Rose said...

Pixiepine,
A cast iron skillet is great for vegans, just season it with olive/vegetable oils and it adds iron to your food as you cook. Superb!

pixiepine said...

Thanks!

Beth said...

I have grown up in the world of cast iron skillets. I'm sure coming from North Carolina there was no other form of cooking. I cook all my meals in it most of the time. Fried Chicken cooked in anything else just doesn't taste right. Its amazing how expensive some collector shops sell them for. I'm hanging onto the ones I've got and I'm sure I'll pass them along to future generations.

Emily said...

I have a small one that came as a "bonus" with my set of pots & pans. I haven't used it much, but I grew up with my mom making fried potatoes in a cast iron skillet. I really should use mine more often!

affectioknit said...

That's awesome - I have one that my Mom gave me (pre-seasoned) when I got married - but I've also acquired several more - including a really neat dutch oven one...

Court said...

No, but my hubby is. He LOVES it and always rattles off a mile-long list of things I'm supposed to do to "care" for it. So I avoid it. ... sheesh... you weirdos! :)

Esther Gregory said...

I mainly use a cast iron skillet to add iron to my diet. The problem I have, as a vegan, is that the the skillet seems to lose its seasoning almost after the first use. It's not that bad as long as there's enough oil or moisture in the pan to prevent sticking, but forget browning tofu, it will stick like crazy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...