Monday, January 11, 2010

Dancing Machine

As a little girl I took dance lessons, ballet and tap. I believe the highlight was when I dressed up in a pumpkin costume (made by my mother) and did a tap dance routine. Then the dance shoes were put away and I became very concerned with coolness and you couldn't catch me dancing, anywhere, EVER.

Photobucket
My early dancing years

As a young adult I decided to give it another try. Eric and I and some of our friends went to an abandoned theater in NM. It had been taken over by the town's senior citizens and they would throw dance parties on Friday nights. What fun! They knew how to dance, they had a band and the place was charmingly decorated with Christmas lights. They were spinning and jitterbugging and doing the Lindy hop. Eric and I stepped out onto the dance floor and two things became apparent, one Eric could dance and two I could not, not at all. I didn't really care, we just laughed about it and danced anyway. I had a lovely time, giving in to the fact that I was the clown on the dance floor. We had a great evening, but it was sort of an unspoken decision that I really shouldn't pursue public dancing.

You see the problem is that I get out there onto the dance floor and I think, "OK so it looks like people are gyrating their hips and flailing their arms about." Then I try to follow suit, but I over think it. I begin to wonder if I am flailing and gyrating in the proper manner and things go downhill very quickly. Before you know it I am over-flailing or else I am just standing and staring at everyone else.

The only times that I really dance is when Eric and I have impromptu dance off's in our own home. We invent moves like Dragon Hatching From an Egg and Unicorn Tears...so you see there is no right or wrong about it. We just go for it.

Then, when Cordelia was born I apparently opened the portal into the dancing world. No, I am not suddenly a magical dancer, but I am dancing with her. We will blast some Queen and dance around the house. She giggles and smiles the whole time. I have caught myself dancing in public with her too. Sometimes it's just a gentle swaying...actually I always sway back and forth with Cordelia, even if I am not the one who is holding her. So if you see me flailing about I don't mind one bit, it is entertaining to Cordelia and probably it will entertain you too.

6 comments:

Annie said...

Lovely photo. I also used to dress up and play different roles as a child. Well, I still do it... I also love to dance - disco. I dance at home and in 80's dance clubs. But I'm not so fond of waltzing. I'm more into salsa. My husband sucks in disco but he can salsa!

hazel said...

aaaaaah why are you guys the cutest family ever? I hope Cordelia pursues dancing, and music. That is going to be one awesome child I am literally excited for you guys and I've never met you.

affectioknit said...

I love to dance - but I was not much of a dancer during my teen years - up here we go to polka dances - so much fun - and we're the youngest people there...

..... Carmen said...

That photo of you is priceless :) I feel completely the same way about dancing, and am not one to want to do it in public. But as soon as G was born, I found myself dancing all over the house with her :)

Stacy said...

Dancing is good. I've been doing a lot of it lately in my apartment. It feels good.

Hello Lindello said...

Fun!

I love dancing at home too. Crank up the tunes and Ben and I have our own dance party. I bet your dance parties will get even better as Cordelia starts to walk...just wait!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...