Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Geriatirc Animal Sitting

Well, last night Eric and I began our new jobs working at The Home for Aging Animals...otherwise known as house sitting for my parents.

Photobucket
Possibly the Oldest Dog in the World, Grady

My parents and youngest brother have flown the coop like regular snow birds and they are down in Phoenix, just as another snowstorm is about to hit us. (Mom are you reading this blog poolside?) They have gone South to visit my brother Ben, sister-in-law Sara, and my Grandma Carol (a true snowbird).

Eric, Cordelia and I are shuttling back and forth between their home and ours. It's a delicate dance because their dog, Grady HATES Bumblebee with an undying passion. I think that when he is gone his ghost will haunt her. In addition to his hatred for Bumblebee he is somewhat blind and almost totally deaf. Poor guy. He is actually a pretty great dog (with the exception of hating Bumblebee). So we have to keep them completely separated. Lots of math involved.

Lest you think Grady is the only resident at the Home for Aging Animals I should mention Smokey the cat, who is 21 years old I believe. We're not quite sure what's keeping her going, but sometimes she can really move which is shocking and a little disturbing to see something so ancient move so quickly. She still has a zest for life and we're just watching in amazement.

Finally there are the two younger cats, named Mindy and Jane. They are quiet and keep to themselves. Actually I think Mindy is completely insane...but Jane is really sweet. So, we have a very interesting few days ahead of us. Good thing I love animals so much!

10 comments:

Daphne said...

That sounds totally fun. Our two girls are 14 and 16, and completely adorable. I love older animals.

Annie said...

I miss animals so much!! I've always had animal companions (rats, cats, rabbits, quinea pigs, dogs...) but never cage animals! My rats ran free in the garden. Crazy me.

We're gonna get animals again once the children are big enough to understand some basic facts. Most likely an abandoned dog because I'm half dog myself. And apparently my daughter is too as she can't speak yet but she can bark perfectly. No, she's not retarded in case you're wondering...

affectioknit said...

Grady looks like a real sweetie - too bad about him not liking Bumblebee - I wonder...

Chrissy said...

Grady looks like a sweet soul.. A week or so ago, AZ. was having there time w/cold weather- believe it or not... Hope your parents make it to that plexiglass outlook that spans over the Grand Cyn., I head its awesome.

pixiepine said...

I love crotchety old animals!!

Stacy said...

Aww, I love Grady based on the photo alone. I hope your parents have a wonderful little vacation!

Emily said...

It's funny, I always think of our cats as being young, but then I realized the other day that they are really in their older years! Tundra is 11 and Ellie is 10.

Good luck with the geriatric pet sitting! I'm sure Grady and all his feline companions appreciate you guys.

Karyn said...

Yeah for old pets! My parents still have Zoe, a 14 year old lhasa apso who is blind, deaf, and toothless with a bad hip, and is deathly afraid of the dishwasher. She still wags her tail all of the time and loves (guided) walks and chasing the cat, so they figure she's still enjoyin' life!

AKM said...

Aww, Grady! Too bad about the animosity towards Bumblebee. :-( I hope you're having fun regardless!

21 years! I hope my Jackie lives that long.

Anonymous said...

In fact I was poolside just moments ago. I feel a bit guilty, if that helps. Mom

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...