Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Raccoon and Video Chatting

OK, before I go on let me tell you that the title actually refers to two different topics. Sadly there is no link (that I know of) between raccoons and video conferencing. So let's start with the raccoon shall we?

Yesterday Eric, Cordelia, and I were driving downtown to pick up the class schedule at my yoga studio. We had to circle around the block a couple of times because it was too cold to trek very far with our little lady. Our second time around the block we spotted a raccoon that was digging through the trash. When it saw our car it started to run for cover. Poor thing, I thought, so out of it's element and trapped in the middle of the city. The next thing I knew the big guy was flattening himself out like a Cirque Du Soleil contortionist as he squeezed his ample hips through the sewer drain! It became clear that he lives in the gutter.

Photobucket
Photo from here
While there wasn't any time for me to take a picture I managed to find many similar images on the internet, apparently sewage drains are the place to be if you're a raccoon. Keep that in mind if you ever have to venture into the sewers! I'd like to imagine that they are building a city below ours. It would be really cute and also terrifying. I'm a little afraid of raccoons.

On to our next subject... Last night my middle brother Ben and his wife Sara got their first live action view of Cordelia. For Christmas they gave us a web cam and we were able to do some live video chatting.It just so happens that my entire family and Grandma Carol were down in Phoenix enjoying dinner at Ben's new house. He was even able to give us a tour of his new home! What a crazy world we live in. Even though we're far apart it was so nice to see my brother and his wife.

In other news my parents and youngest brother Sam are headed home today. Fly safe and sanitary! See you tonight.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

We will do our best to fly in a safe manner. As for sanitary...hmmm, we'll do our best. We are anxious to see you! Mom

Anonymous said...

Oh, I forgot to say how very weird it was last night. Ben carried the laptop around the house to give you a tour, as you know. From our point of view, though, it looked as though he was carrying 3 heads around on a tray. It was a bit creepy, expecially since the "heads" could still speak. Mom

E.K. said...

Maybe these creatures are zombies and they live in The Hive under Raccoon City!

Maria Rose said...

Does anybody else get the reference that Eric made? I do, but you get cool points if you do too.

Stacy said...

Raccoons scare me too... they can be so mean. Or rabid. Who knew the sewers were the place they hang out!

I'm glad you aren't a head on a tray BTW.

Christina Lowry said...

We have cats that live in our drains, but never a raccoon! I guess the closest animal we would have in Australia would be a possum? And they tend to live in the trees and walk along the phone lines. :)

PS. I had to laugh, we went to a wildlife sanctuary here and there were lots of cute cuddly koalas and a viewing platform to look at them. Heaps of crazy tourists were trying to lean over the fence and touch them. Have you seen a koalas claws and teeth? They may look cute, but they can be quite fierce. I am a little bit scared of them. They are fine in a tree, or if a wildlife ranger is letting you hold a tame one for photos, but wild koalas? Stay away! :)

Annie said...

Poor raccoons! I'm always so sad when I see for example ducks searching their food in polluted ditches.

So you do yoga? I'm thinking of starting too. Well, I've been thinking for many years.

PS. I almost wrote "raccoon regiment" in my post but then I realized it's "dragoon regiment". (It's rakuuna in Finnish.)

PPS. If this is a friends and family blog, let me know.

Emily said...

Resident Evil. Mike had to help me--very clever!

Leah saw the picture of the Raccoon, and I told her that he was going underground to help build a city for Raccoons. Of course, she said, "Tell me that story, Mom!"

Michelle said...

Hey Maria- what happened to the Humming Wires??

And I was going to say Resident Evil - but it looks like some one beat me too it!

sophie said...

I have never seen a raccoon before, but Siena and I call each other raccoon eyes if our mascara smudges...just trying to find a link to a raccoon...

Web cams are so good. We have family in the UK and South Africa so being able to talk AND see them is awesome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...