Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Update on My Fear of Driving

You may recall (or maybe not) that I have been battling my fear of cars for quite some time. I have been in a few car accidents and it has just left me downright jittery in the car. After our last, and worst, accident in 2005 (not our fault by the way) I was really a nervous wreck. Every time we would come to a stop I would pull off to the side a bit in case the person behind me forgot that they were supposed to stop. Early on I was afraid that I would get sick or hyperventilate.

Photobucket

I am not shy about asking other people to slow down, not to tailgate or whatever crosses my mind. While I do have a pretty serious fear of driving I have been very set on not letting it control my life. I just can't avoid cars, though there was a point in time when I was really trying to figure out how I could live a live without any mechanized transportation. Short of being considered a strange recluse that isn't really an option.

So I have been making progress on dealing with my fears. I force myself to get into cars and drive or to let others drive me. Slowly but surely I have been moving forward. I no longer have full on panic attacks in cars and I can have a conversation in the car that isn't highlighted by me white knuckling the door handle. I really think that I may never fully shake this, but I just can't let it impact my entire life.

Do you have any fears that you feel are impacting your life? How do you deal with them?

8 comments:

eLiZaBeTh said...

I hear you on the fear of cars thing. I was injured in a bad car accident as a 5 year old and have been scared ever since. I avoid the highway unless I have to take it...leading to the nickname that my husband has given to me "Backroad Betty." I do love road trips though:)

Daphne said...

I had that exact same thing. I was in (and have been in, since!!) a number of rear-endings (none of which were my fault). I had to really work at calming myself down and just go slow for awhile (months) while I reacclimated. It still sneaks up on me sometimes and I am not afraid to pull over if someone is making me nervous. :)

affectioknit said...

I'm sure you're doing the right thing - facing your fear - my husband says I drive slow enough for the bugs to dodge me...

Jill said...

I feel your pain. When we first moved to California I was freaked of all the freeways here. Everyone drives so fast too! Not like my lil' town of five stoplights.

I took a driving lesson and that helped a bit. I have never been in an accident, just not to crazy about driving...

Hooray for facing our fears!

Annie said...

I fear heights. My feet started to tremble in the Eiffel tower stairs but I forced myself to climb higher. Actually coming down is worse because then you see the ground level all the time.

And I fear driving, especially in the capital (I let my husband do the driving and ask him to slow down every now and then). I've been in a near accident and now I fear even more because of the children on the back seat.

Widge said...

I get white knuckled while flying. totally freaks me out.

sophie said...

That's awful Maria! As for fears, it would be heights for sure - absolutely cannot look over a ledge! oh, and I am not sure if this is a fear, I think it is, I really cannot handle cockroaches, they make me feel like I am going to vomit!

Victoria said...

After 11 car accidents I had a terrible time even riding as a passenger in a car. Finally, I let the universe know I really wanted to stay on the planet. The accidents stopped and so did the fear. xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...