Monday, February 22, 2010

Looking Back


Today I was looking through old photos from February 2007 when I found this photo and thought I'd tell you about it. Eric and I were living in Denver at the time. We were invited to a gallery opening and decided that we should go and check out the scene in the city. We got dressed up and went to this fancy schmancy loft of a gallery. People were speaking in hushed tones trying to absorb the artwork. We were excited to see that the fuss was about.

When we entered the main gallery we found that the art was black words on the wall. There was also an empty stage in the middle of the room. Sure the artist had a vision, but Eric and I were filled to the brim with artist's visions at the time. We were in the midst of grad school where we were working on our art history degrees. So we were rather dubious about the whole show.

We walked around and just didn't get it. Admittedly the "getting it" of art often requires a mood of acceptance and we just weren't there that day. So I tried to fake it until I made it. You'll see that the gentleman to the right of the photograph is looking pretty serious about the show, so I just copied him...it didn't work, but I had fun trying out my look of intense concentration. I guess you just have to find your fun where you can. Plus, Eric and I have tremendous difficulty taking ourselves seriously which is something that I love about our relationship.

Have you been to gallery openings? What is your plan-o-action when attending such events?

6 comments:

Chrissy said...

Love that stern look on your face. I think u nailed it w/the other guy's look.... I've been to gallery openings and I just go w/the flow... If I don't get the theme, no worries, just take in the images and then leave.. then u find once u are out of that building what u truly understood....atmosphere can either make it or break it...

affectioknit said...

Funny - you do look serious - yep - we've been to some gallery openings - our Alma Mater - UNCA was big on that sort of thing - and we had several Art Major friends - we sometimes found ourselves 'pretending' too...

Emily said...

Your serious expression is priceless. You look like you are being deeply inspired by the blank stage. And yes, we've been to galleries or museum exhibits where we just didn't "get it", but we play along and just enjoy the time out together.

Robin said...

Never been to one! Hope to some day.

the dwellers said...

We went to a gallery opening when we were dating. I didn't realize until we were inside that my cute shoes squeaked on the tile floor... loudly. We didn't stay too long :)

Christina said...

Yes, I have been too so many art gallery openings, particularly while studying fine art at Uni and also to my sisters exhibitions. I have found that it is best to criticize any work afterwards as the artist could be standing right behind you (as was the case with a friend of mine), also never get there when the speeches have started and you have to meet people there as my sister did and had to try to squeeze through a crowded room and ended up stepping on a clay installation and breaking a piece! I do love watching the people though and once got an artist to sign a zine he had made while at Uni. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...