Monday, March 22, 2010

Beautiful Little Life

For much of my adult life, or really just much of my life, I have been busy. I'm an on the go type of gal. Going to school, gallery openings, social events, working on my bajillion (that's an exact number) projects, working, and spending time with Eric. I have spent little time in my home, using it more as just a place to rest or maybe work on art. So it is really no surprise that people raise an eyebrow when they hear that I am a stay at home mom right now. I see their minds whirling. I have spent much of my life living in a fairly non-traditional manner. Up until a year ago I had been (for quite some time) the sole provider and now...here I am unemployed and staying home much of the time. I really do understand when people ask, "Don't you get bored?"

The answer is simple. No, I don't. I feel so blessed that I get this time. Every single day I thank Eric for working, and he thanks me as well. We both know that if I were to work right now we'd be in a much different tax bracket. We both are highly educated and capable of generating a real income, but we decided to put that off for just a bit. We decided that it was far more important that one of us stay at home with our girl.

Every day I remind myself that this time with Cordelia is so fleeting and that I should do nothing but revel in it, in her, in our time. Truly this is the most precious time of my life. My days are quiet and slow. Cuddling, cleaning, sewing, mothering all of these things make me feel so tied to all of the mothers before me. I don't feel anything but thankful, no boredom, no resentment that my life has been put on hold...because it hasn't been. I get this little girl and this quiet life for such a short time. There will be a time when things change again, but I don't want to think about that now because this is now, this beautiful little life with a husband and a daughter.

Cordelia


13 comments:

Tammie said...

such a beautiful post.

i have similar feelings about being a stay at home mom. its definitely not going to be my choice forever, i cant imagine never working again. but for right now, i enjoy it.

Chrissy said...

I agree! nothing is better than being able to stay at home w/a child... I will never get why some will have a child and still go to work.. (I realize some need that extra income)As my husband believed one parent should at least be home instead of using day care to do the responsibility... I don't see how anyone could be bored being at home, each moment is different when u r the one witnessing what that child is learning..

affectioknit said...

Sweet!

AKM said...

I hope someday to be able to stay home with my children until they start school if at all possible. Work can wait! Making less money just takes planning and creativity, after all.

What a cute picture!

Anonymous said...

Your daughter is simply gorgeous.

Jill said...

Ya sista! I have been here in the states sans work visa with my hubby for a year now. He is the breadwinner now. I pick out the bread though :)
I am going to be a stay at home mom, and feel so lucky to be able to do so! People ask me if I ever get bored--hell no! I love having time. Time is better than money. Okay money helps too, but if you can swing it, why wouldn't ya?

Anonymous said...

Cordelia is gorgeous!

I hope I can do the same when I have kids, but I also salute all the working moms out there (like mine). I appreciate every second she carved out for me, and now I count her as one of my best friends.

Maria Rose said...

Oh yes I couldn't agree more. I have total respect for women who work too. I will probably end up doing both at different points along the way.

..... Carmen said...

Beautifully put :)

Robin said...

I couldn't agree with you more. Those are many of the reasons that I stayed home as well.

:)

Stacy said...

Love!

eLiZaBeTh said...

Maria Rose...what a lovely post, my friend. I think that this is my all-time favorite picture of your little lady, too. I have been a working momma since Reese was 6 months old & the time that I had at home with her was the most beautiful & overwhelming times of my life. I loved being home, but I was a single mom & living with my parents...a little bit stressful to say the least. I am looking forward to staying home with the next round of children. I feel like being a mom to just Reese has taught me what to do better the next time around & I can't wait to walk her to & from school. And not have to call my boss to tell her that Reese is sick and that I have to stay home with her & then deal with the wrath when I return to my dreaded office job...you know what I'm talkin' about!

elizabeth said...

i love your thoughts.
and i love being home with my kiddos.
i envy the slowness of your days. we are often too busy . . . i'm working on that . . .
keep enjoying your life - and looking for all those "little things" that are really the best and most important!

hugs to you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...