Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Knick Knack Attack

When Eric and I first went away to college we were on the lookout for friends that were couples, just seemed to make sense. We did find one great couple who were a little bit older, a little bit more mature, and a whole lot of fun. There names were Shag and Lex. He was over 6 feet tall and she was under 5 feet, but somehow it all made sense. By the way Lex could do the worm and I was eternally impressed. Anyway, we used to go over to their place to enjoy dinner and games.

Eric and I were always in awe of their immaculate home. It was cool and together and looked like a place where real grown ups lived. We each had our own places at that point and the same could not be said of our apartments. One day our conversation turned to the topic of their home and how cool it was. Shag offered up an explanation, he said that it was because he had banished the knick knacks; they didn't have any. I looked around in wonder and realized, for the first time, that he was telling the truth. There wasn't a knick knack to be found, anywhere.

I left that night pondering this stylistic choice, clearly it made an impression if I am still thinking about it a decade later. I couldn't believe it. I had always thought of knick knacks as the flair, the personal flavor of a home. An object could be a conversation piece, a reminder of a trip, or just a cherished heirloom. How could somebody banish knick knacks?

Well, fast forward a decade and I present you with this...the place where knick knacks go to die.

knick knacks

This is what we did with all of the knick knacks we unpacked with our recent move. AHHH, too much, too many. A few of them are truly special, like the slide votive holders, but I don't have any connection to many of these items, can't remember when or where we acquired many them, yet here they are following us through time and space like a little dust catching knick knack comet tail.

So now Shag's words are echoing in my mind. I need to rid myself of some of these knick knacks, they're out of control. So, looks like we are going to reduce our baggage once again, nothing like a move to get the downsizing juices flowing. I already feel so much better.

Do you have a personal opinion about knick knacks?

8 comments:

Chrissy said...

After the 1994 earthquake my friends and I started minimalizing... If u have ever cleaned up a mess of personal stuff it isn't fun on top of the major stuff... Less is more... I use to collect Noah's Arks... well now they are all boxed up...My addiction now is photos, I've got frames galore but at least if they fall its not a big deal.

affectioknit said...

We're not big on knick-knacks - just a few special ones about...

...otherwise I'm very sentimental though...

Linda said...

Hmm... When we sold our last apartment, we removed about 80% of the knick knacks (although it wasn't that overcrowded with knick knack to start with) for the photo ads, and our flat had never looked better! Made us reluctant about selling the place! ... Maybe it's time to downsize gain...

Robin said...

I love/hate them!! It felt so good after our move to get rid of so many of them, but I feel that I still have way too many!

Emily said...

We generally don't have any knick knacks. Mike is a minimalist, and would love it if we had none. I'm not a big fan of them either, but I do have a few special ones on my bookshelf.

Pam Brewer said...

I ask myself, "Will I have to dust this?" If the answer is "Yes", I think seriously about how important it is to me!

..... Carmen said...

I just wrote on my blog about de-cluttering - we must be on the same wave length! I am pretty impressed you have a credenza full of knick knacks waiting for you to decide their fate. I wonder how many I would have if I put them in a pile? Perhaps a good technique for organizing the things that really matter.

beck said...

I'm a bit on the fence with this one. Part of me craves an orderly house with minimal knick knacks & the other part loves looking for vintage pieces. I also am very senitmental so I find it hard to actually THROW stuff away. Maybe I should box up some of it and put it in the shed? It's weird, I'm decluttering at the moment but you can't even tell!! Ahhhh... xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...