Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Selling Me Stuff

Since moving to Wyoming Eric and I have become really thrifty. I mean REALLY thrifty. We have become those cheap-o's who revel in not buying something. It is sort of like a game to us. When we started on this little journey we were right in the thick of rampant consumerism. We would buy what the world told us we needed to buy, regardless of how practical it was. when we stepped back and took a look at it all I found that the world of the sale is quite an art form. For instance, I have discovered a weird obsession with discovering the sneakiness of advertising. I am always watching the subtle ways in which companies are trying to push their products and brands upon us. Most recently I have been obsessed with commercials and the way that color plays a role in the sale of a product.

For example there is a cereal brand and the box has red, purple and white. The commercial has a woman prancing through this gorgeous house with red, purple and white everywhere. The advertisers have sold me on this imaginary world that looks so perfect...maybe I should just try their cereal. Once I noticed this commercial it was like a light turned on, most commercials use this simple strategy. What a strange and detailed art form. I am really impressed with modern advertising, packaging and the art of the sale, but there is something I love a little bit more...

Cake decorator 1

I love vintage finds. I really do. Even more than that, perhaps, I love vintage packaging. I love looking at the way in which products were sold to us in days gone by. Take this gorgeous cake decorator set. My mom gave it to me, still in the original box. I love looking at the little details that, once upon a time, sung out to the consumer. Now they are kitschy and collectible. How interesting it all is.

Cake decorator 2

Do you see those little details too? Do you feel like you're super cool when you do find them?

8 comments:

affectioknit said...

I love that Mirro set - My Mom had one just like it when I was little...

Mason-Jezek Journal said...

I love old signs...like building signs with neon and such. I also really like the painted wall signs, and fortunately for me, I live in the West...and there are lots of these around. When I get older (or when the mood strikes) I'd like to buy an RV and drive around taking pictures of these and make them into a coffee table book. :)
P.S. Did you know that "they" have done research that shows the most offending color combo to the eye is yellow and red...so fast food places make their interiors with these colors to encourage you to eat and get the heck out. Interesting...

..... Carmen said...

I took a course once in University on advertising - it's VERY interesting! That's a great decorating set - I love the way it shows how the icing swirls right off of the tips- lol.

Leslie R. said...

I am right in the middle of an experiment to see how long I can go without buying anything new. The goal is a year...we shall see. I am enjoying garage sales and the Goodwill, and it feels pretty awesome to just check right out of consumer mindframe. I'm getting creative too!

Emily said...

I love the packaging on the decorating set. It's very pretty and feminine looking. I guess it was geared for all those June Cleaver-type mothers in their starched dresses and pearl necklaces.

I hear you on being thrifty. We are trying to create more margin in our budget, so we have to cut back and shop smart!

the dwellers said...

Very interesting video on advertising: Derren Brown- Subliminal Advertising

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyQjr1YL0zg

I agree, vintage packaging is beautiful!

elizabeth said...

my mom has that set!
but not in the box . . .
i love the box! :)

bel said...

I love vintage cookbooks, especially the ones with photos and drawings with the recipes. I could read those like bedtime stories if they have enough pictures!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...