Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Sound of Ice Falling


Late yesterday morning I put Cordelia in the front carrier. She waved her mittened hands in excitement. Bumblebee whined with anticipation. She knew that her turn was next. I grabbed my keys and the cell phone before putting the leash on Bumblebee. I made her sit before we stepped outside, she needs a little (big) refresher course on her manners. After she took the obligatory seat we stepped out into the cool morning air. The sun was out and it was probably 10 degrees above freezing, but it felt a bit warmer.

We started out on our journey. Bumblebee paused at every possible spot where she could check her "pee-mail" and leave a few messages of her own. She trudged along with her nose to the ground following a myriad of unseen odors. I paused at a crosswalk, looking down at my little girl who was keeping a close eye on Bumblebee.

Soon we were at the nearby park. I could see the clouds clinging to the tops of the white mountains in the distance. Following our normal walk path I spotted an open area to my left. Bumblebee looked up at me as though she were asking permission to explore. I consented and she bounded ahead to the end of her long leash.

I stood still as Bumblebee rooted around through the moist ground. Cordelia was quietly observing with her tiny little serious face. It took a moment for me to notice, but when I did it seemed to fill my ears. At first I couldn't place it, a quiet dropping sound all around me. Almost like rainfall, but the sky above was sunny and clear. I felt compelled to discover the source of this quiet sound. Turning around I realized that there were trees behind us. I soon realized that the sound was made by bits of ice falling onto the soft ground as they were warmed and loosened by the sun. They were beautiful glittering bits of light, sparkling as they fell to the earth with a soft thud. It was one of those moments that felt as though it were meant for us to see and enjoy. The three of us marveled for a few more quiet minutes and then walked back to the main road, to the sounds of the day.

5 comments:

Chrissy said...

"pee mail" now that is a new term..lol...can't imagine Bumblebee needing to be reminded, she seems so docile...yep, i'm a rollover for beagles...glad u 3 enjoyed your walk...

Stacy said...

Rosy is the same way... I have to reinforce the "sit" before we go for a walk! Yesterday we got to take her boyfriend Truman for a walk too.

affectioknit said...

I loved the 'pee-mail' phrase - and will definitely incorporate that into my doggie vocabulary...

We often hear the ice or the thick layer of frost falling from the tree (we only have one - haha) - it is an unusually and soft sound...

sophie said...

oh Maria sounds beautiful - I could imagine being there! Cordelia must have just loved all of those sights and sounds.

bel said...

What a beautiful moment! Thank you for sharing,

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...