Friday, April 2, 2010

Antelope

For those of us who live in Wyoming the sight of antelope isn't particularly interesting or even noteworthy, but I know many of you are not from Wyoming or even the US and may not have ever seen an antelope. So I thought I'd share a few photos with you...

Stay on the walks

Eric took a couple photos of a gang of antelope walking through our neighborhood.

Gang


Just to thrill you even further I thought I'd share a few fun facts about pronghorn antelope:
  • They aren't actually antelope, since antelope only live in Africa and Asia.
  • They can run over 50 miles per hour, the second fastest land mammal after the cheetah. Ding dong that's fast.
  • They can detect movement several miles away.
  • They live mostly in Wyoming and Montana.
Have you seen antelope before? Oh and maybe I should tell you about the oryx sightings by my mom...oh maybe that's another story for another day.

6 comments:

E.K. said...

They can detect movement miles away, but you can can honk at them 2 feet away to get out of the road and they don't move. A perfect example of a WY local... they do what they want, when they want.

Mason-Jezek Journal said...

I miss seeing Antelope!! Ahh...Wyoming. Can't wait to come up this summer. :)

PaisleyJade said...

I have NEVER seen antelope before! Living in New Zealand a sight like that is so foreign and crazy! Very cool.

Stacy said...

Have only seen them at the zoo....

I hate seeing the gangs roaming the streets like that, armed with small antlers and all... never know what they might do. ;-)

Danielle said...

What a bizarre experience. I guess that's like us having cows in the backyard :) antelope are allot cuter.

sophie said...

If they aren't really antelope then what are they? I am seriously impressed by those photos, the only wildlife we get here are birds and dogs (sometimes cats) great photos!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...