Saturday, April 24, 2010

Dinner and a Cutie

Do you know what seitan is? I had never heard of it until I went vegan (learn about it here). Now I am wild about the stuff. It's nearly as versatile as tofu and tastes wonderful in stir fries, fajitas, vegan french dips, and more. Last night I barbecued it and made this little yummy meal.

BBQ Seitan Wraps

The BBQ seitan wrap is simply barbecued seitan. We used this delicious BBQ sauce from Vermont. Our friend Charlotte gave it to us, she is so excellent at thinking of unusual gifts, and it is soooo good. I think maybe I could drink the stuff, but I won't because then it would be gone and I'd be sad. Anywho back to the meal---I made up some vegan coleslaw using Vegenaise (a vegan mayo, I'm telling you they have a vegan version of everything) and put it with the seitan in a wrap. It is simple and super tastey.


Cordelia

Cordelia is still a toothless maniac so she had to enjoy a paste of mixed and mashed veggies, but she seemed happy enough with that.

For dessert I made vegan chocolate chip cookies.

Have you ever tried seitan? Do you like it more than tofu?

7 comments:

Chrissy said...

Never had nor heard of seitan.. Is the consistency like tofu? I grew up on tofu and I have to admit as a kid I didn't appreciate it.. Now I do...Tell me more about seitan.

affectioknit said...

I don't know that I like it more than tofu - because I love/love/love tofu - but I do like it as much as tofu - and you're right it's very versatile...

Mandy said...

I looove seitan a bit more than tofu. I found a wonderful recipe for "cheese steak" using it with vegan Worcestershire sauce, it's amazing!

Emily said...

I've heard of it, but have never tried it. The bbq wraps look delicious!

Robin said...

I've never heard of it! Tofu isn't too bad though.

sophie said...

Can't comment on either, sorry, so i'll say Cordelia is gorgeous and leave it at that!!

kirsten said...

I have tried seitan and I do like it. It depends on how its made though, sometimes it can be overly chewy:P

Your right there is a vegan version of everything, makes me wonder why we use animal products?

What a toothless cutie :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...