Monday, May 3, 2010

Mother's Day Week: An Introduction

The day that Cordelia was born was the day that I officially became a mother and also the day that I nearly died. I have not written about this here until now mostly because I had a little one to care for and in those days and weeks following I was busy recovering from not only childbirth, but also from my close call.

When Cordelia came into this world I suffered from uterine atony, in my case that meant that I very well could have bled to death. Don't worry, I didn't. I actually didn't realize how close of a call it had been, but the faces of my husband and mother told me the truth. When I look back at all of those early photos I can see how white the anemia left me, but I was still here.

I really didn't process the whole business until a couple of months later, on Thanksgiving day. It was my first family holiday as a mother. For some reason I felt the weight of that close call in one thundering wave. I could have missed all of this, this business of mothering. What a wonderful reminder, what a gift.

Mother
The very moment I realized that I was her mother.


Yes, it's all very fragile, but that is what makes it so precious. I am here to be part of this great group of women called mothers. Most of us realize just what a wonderful opportunity we've been given and this week I want to touch on some of the many women who have been mother figures in my life and share with you a little bit about what I know of mothering from these women and the little experiences I've had thus far.

10 comments:

Chrissy said...

Maria, I had to google uterine atony .. I've never heard the term.. would u believe I had the same but mine occurred a few weeks after... It scared me... Luckily mine stopped after a few hours otherwise I would have needed a d&c... I am so glad u were ok after that... Love that photo of u and C...

Stacy said...

And I'm so so glad you are here, for Cordelia and Eric. And all of us readers. Thank you for being a good mom!

Jenny said...

What a wonderful mother you are. That's a beautiful picture.

Emily said...

You are such a blessing! As is Cordelia! Looking forward to your posts this week.

Jane said...

I'm so glad you're ok. And while you're shouting out to all the mothers - don't forget to include us Auntie's.

We mother in a different way but it's just as special. :)

Love love love to you!

elizabeth said...

i love this picture of you. i love it. and i'm so glad you are here! and with your little lady and your husband. :)

..... Carmen said...

Beautiful photo Maria and thank you for sharing your story. I look forward to your posts this week :)

Gypsy said...

I'm crying just reading your blog. That was such a wonderful day but for a few moments, when I watched the red splashing onto the floor, it was terrifying. I couldn't believe what was happening. I can't think about it too much, because that was MY baby lying there while the doctor fought for her life. But the reality is, we get to watch you and Eric parent together this beautiful little sweetheart. You are such a lovely mother and Cordelia is so blessed. Life is as it should.

Robin said...

I'm so glad that you are here, I would miss my Bob so terribly much, and I can't wait to read the posts that are coming soon. You make all of us mothers out there feel loved and proud with how much you treasure being one. And luck to Cordelia for claiming one of the best ones out there for herself!

sophie said...

What an amazing and frightening story - I can't even imagine the fear for your family, we take safe birthing for granted these days don't we.

I am so sorry you went through that and so happy you are here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...