Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Finding Peace or Something

sitting on the couch

Last night Eric and I donned our yoga gear. He wore blue and white Addidas shorts and a black t-shirt with flip flops. I wore my black yoga pants with my secret society of vegans t-shirt. We grabbed our yoga mats, his black and mine light purple. We loaded the little lady into her car seat and headed over to see my parents. After a brief chat we left, Cordelia stayed behind to entertain her grandparents with her charms (by the way she's got a whole cute routine developed).

We drove to the donation yoga class across town, busy chatting about yoga and how we miss it when we don't do it. Our town is small and it's proven difficult to find a good yoga teacher, so we were hopeful about this new class which came recommended by a friend.

We walked into the building and were greeted by the familiar scents and sounds that seem to go hand in hand with proper yoga joints. We met Lizz (yes with two Z's, she means bizzness) who was very kind, just as a yoga teacher should be. She made eye contact, had a firm handshake, and said our names with emphasis. She even pronounced my name properly after reading it (for the record it's spelled Maria and pronounced Mariah not Mar-eee-uh) which won her some bonus points.

We tossed our mats on the ground as a few other students joined in. Eric and I sat a little nervously on the floor, not quite certain what to expect.

Then we began-- slow and steady, breathing and stretching, a very calm practice. The last time we were serious about yoga we were doing Ashtanga yoga, a very dynamic practice, so this was a nice way to ease back into it.

Lizz ended the practice with a super extended meditation of Yoga Nidra. She came by and rubbed some yoga type balm on our heads and necks as we were laying there on our masts with our eyes closed. Generally I am opposed to having my head rubbed with any balm, even more so by a complete stranger, but in this case it was welcome. My head tingled with the balm for quite some time, very nice. When it was over Eric and I were super relaxed and over the moon. We had forgotten how wonderful it feels to have that kind of experience.

We left the class, feeling all peaceful and motivated. Picked up Cordelia and headed home for the night. All seemed calm and lovely.

Then I woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Mostly because a certain someone woke up a lot in the night. I am generally a morning person so it really throws me off when I wake up in a funk. Where has my yoga peace gone? The thing about finding peace is that you have to keep finding it.

So I will just keep at it, but I think I have finally found a good studio! For the record Eric woke up in a good mood so he is helping pull me out of the funk as well.

***Just a reminder, tomorrow starts 7 days of giveaways!****

7 comments:

AKM said...

"The thing about finding peace is that you have to keep finding it."

So true, this is! I never thought of it like that. I always figured that monks and yogis and such were always at peace, but they probably have cranky days like the rest of us and have to refind their peace, no?

I know what you mean about feeling all blissed out and then waking up in a cranky mood! I get a massage once a month and I always wish that peaceful feeling would last longer. ;-)

I would love to take up yoga. I've only ever done videos, but I think I would get so much more out of doing it with someone who really knows what he's/she's doing. Now that I have decided to work on my MSW PT instead of FT, I have a few extra days each week, so perhaps I should fill them with yoga!

Yay for giveaways! You're so generous! Whee!

hillums said...

that's ok Mariah. your blogs are always very sunny and inspiring. thanks for that. but it's good to know you can get in a funk too, because it happens to everyone.

affectioknit said...

Oh - I love yoga and need to get back to it too! Last year I did the Namaste yoga series at lunch time and found it very peaceful and relaxing...

Tammie said...

i hope you pull yourself out of your funk soon. and im glad you found a yoga studio you are happy with.

Maria Rose said...

I am officially out of my funk, lasted about half an hour. I talked with my hubby, blogged and took Bumblebee and Cordelia for a walk, funk-what funk?

Mason-Jezek Journal said...

I love that you are able to pull yourself out of your funk so quickly...the "morning funks" are the hardest for me to get out of. So happy that you found a good yoga instructor...a good one really makes all the difference. :)I wanted to check with you before I load pictures from our trip onto my FB...I have a few of your lovely little lady and wanted to put them up...but won't if you guys aren't comfortable with it. I only allow my actual friends see my stuff and I know all of them personally. (just so you know)...but let me know what you think. :) Miss you guys already.

Stacy said...

Yay for yoga! I've been trying to keep up on my home practice.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...