Monday, August 16, 2010

Buffy

highschool
Me in high school. What, the late 90s were awesome?!?!

When I was a teenager I was something of a rebel. I went through a phase where I was a wee bit out of my mind, but I came back eventually. My mother liked to remind me that when I was a pre-teen I pre-apologized for my inevitable teenage indiscretions. Funny now, it was maddening when I was a teenager. Toward the end of that period I started to change my perspective and along with it came a dear friendship.

Mary and I
Mary and I in our younger years. Note that I am wearing the same shirt from the photo above. Be warned that I still have that shirt and I know how to use it...

Mary was always ready to get into a little mischief (which I still live for), but she was kind, fun, funny, and ready for adventure. We would go thrifting and garage sale-ing together. She was in need of a good and healthy friendship just as much as I was. For a period of time we were inseparable I really credit that friendship with helping me to change my standards. I started to realize that I could have good friends.

Mary and I had one strange ritual...watching the TV series Buffy the Vampire Slayer, religiously. Neither of us seemed like the type to get into such a series, but we did and we were hooked. We'd settle into my bedroom, turn on the TV and get serious about vampire slaying.

Since the Buffy days we each fell in love with our current husbands, moved, and drifted in and out of contact. I think such things are all too common in the transient society we are now living in. Who would have thought that Buffy would come back into our lives permanently?

Fast forward to 2009. We both announced our pregnancies and did a little sharing online. She had a boy and I had a girl. Her son was named Alexander and as you know my daughter was named Cordelia. Well, maybe you weren't obsessed with the TV series, but both of those happen to be names of characters from the show. We even call our children by the same nicknames! Neither of us chose the names for that particular reason, but lo and behold it happened. Let me re-state that neither of us chose the names because of the show.

xanderandbuffy
Xander and Cordelia

I had nearly forgotten about Buffy and her gang of friends when Eric and I were hunting for baby names. Only after our hearts were set on Cordelia did we realize that she was a prominent character from Buffy. I am sure Mary never gave it a thought either, but here we are, reminded of an important friendship at a pivotal time all through the naming of our children.

6 comments:

affectioknit said...

That's a neat story - I'm always amazed at how parents chose their childs name - sometimes you have to wonder 'what on earth were they thinking'...

AKM said...

BtVS is my favorite show of all-time! The ironic thing is that I only got into it about three years ago and I never once saw it when it first aired.

When you announced the name "Cordelia," the first thing that popped into my head was BtVS! I figured you didn't name her AFTER that Cordelia, but still. ;-) The first time I heard the name "Cordelia/Cordy" was in the old Disney movie, _The Happiest Millionaire_. Ever see it?

(There were some great names in general on that show, no? I love the name "Anya," too.)

Oh, and Spike is my crush, not Angel. Giles is my crush, too. And Xander. And Oz. Riley wasn't bad, either. ;-)

It's sweet how we bond with certain people over certain shows. My brother and I, for example, often converse exclusively in "SNL" skits and "The Office" lines. :-)

Stacy said...

That's just cool.

Emily said...

What a cool story! Maybe your Cordelia and her Xander will get married one day....that is if Cordelia doesn't marry Lucas. I'm ok with arranged marriages. :)

Elizabeth said...

Love love love this post! My high school graduation actually coincided with Buffy's graduation episode. So, when I was 17, I pretty much took that as a cue that I would be the next slayer. In real life. I'm still not entirely convinced otherwise...

Robin said...

I love that show!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...