Thursday, August 12, 2010

Goodbye Grady

Yesterday we lost Grady, our dog. He was just shy of being 15, but it still feels like far too little time. I thought that I'd share with you a little about this crazy weird dog whom we so dearly love.

Grady jumping on a walk
Grady, enthusiastically jumping while on a walk.

Grady was quite possibly the least intelligent dog that ever lived, and we all loved him for it. For instance, when we put on hats he would freak out.

He was also deeply loyal. He loved his family so very much.

Grady in sleeping bag
Grady in a sleeping bag

Grady is known for licking crop circles. What this means is that he would passionately lick the carpet--much to our horror, disgust, amusement--for hours. Nothing could pull him away from his favorite hobby. When he was satisfied with his work he would get up, leaving a "crop circle". Yeah, it was gross, but it was also quirky and we all know that quirky is endearing.

Grady slept every night with my brother Sam. Perhaps this loss will be most acutely felt by my brother. He and Grady have been classic dog and his boy since before Sam can recall.

My dad and Ben would face each other, grab shoulders and yell,"Grady we're fighting". This would send Grady into a frenzy of joyful (loud) barks and jumpy hops in his better days.

When I would come home from college, and later just for a visit from my own place, I would run up and down the hall with Grady as he barked with joy and chased me.

Mom had a rule that he wasn't allowed on the furniture, so he'd wait until she was gone before he would hop up on the couch for an afternoon snooze. When he was younger he would hear her return and carefully get back on the floor before she found him on the couch. Later as he grew deaf he was not so sneaky and finally, near the end he didn't even bother to climb onto the couch. So my sweet mom (who was in the know the whole time) bought him a bed for the floor.

He had many nicknames including, but not limited to: Grad, Bucky, Dooze, Mr. Dooze, Doozie, Nosey Nose, Buck rock, Buck Stack, etc.

Grady was the most simple animal on the planet. He loved his family in a way that was so sweet, loyal, and pure. We will all miss him for the rest of our lives.


Grady all decorated for Christmas
Goodbye Grady. I am so thankful that you don't have to be in pain anymore. Thank you for being so weird and wonderful. I love you. See you later.

Love Always,
Maria
PS Thanks for reading my blog from beyond the grave.

11 comments:

Keia Kato-Berndt said...

I am sorry to hear of your loss. I hope that you are all ok and I am sure that Grady is running around in doggie heaven, eating milk bones galore.

Helena said...

I'm so sorry.

AKM said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that Grady is gone, but it's good to hear that he's not in pain anymore. It sounds like you and your family have amazing memories of him to treasure. (((HUG)))

Emily said...

I am so sorry to hear this news! Grady looked like such a sweet-natured guy. I know he will be missed.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Grady. But thankful he is no longer in pain.
Our family went through this with our Frankie Cat in June, he was eighteen and a half years old.
My heart goes out to all of you.

paisley

affectioknit said...

What a sweet sad story...it's always so hard to lose a pet...Grady sounds like such a sweetie...

...blessings and peace be with you...

Stacy said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. Losing an animal is always so tough. His unconditional love will surely be missed in your family.

Momma CupKate said...

I am truly so sorry. We have not yet owned a dog, but I know how I'd feel with the loss of one of our dear cats. I'm sorry. But happy he had a beautiful life. There's a line I absolutely adore from the movie "A Prairie Home Companion". After one of the characters has died (an older gentleman who passed away waiting for his -er, one of his- ladies to "visit him) the woman who finds him, his lady love, is inconsolably upset. The angel who is present throughout the movie says to her, quietly and not even remotely condescendingly, "The death of an old man is not a tragedy."

I find that beautiful and profound.

Sarah Kramer said...

Grady. :(

Tammie said...

oh im sorry for your loss of grady. but it looks like he had a wonderful,silly life.

Robin said...

Bye Grady. Hugs to you Bob.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...