Wednesday, September 1, 2010

First Day of School (as a teacher!) and Bumblebee Update

Well, yesterday was my first day teaching college. I started out very over prepared and feigning a calm that I didn't possess. I got to the college a bit early so I could pick up the prepared copies of my syllabus and start up the projector. When I got there I realized that nobody had prepared my copies and I had left mine at home. So I raced to the car, calling Eric and asking him to print out a copy for me. He did. Sam, who was over at our house helping with Bumblebee (more in a moment), ran the copy out to the car and I sped back to the college. My healthy window of prep time was gone.

1st day of school
Eric insisted on a "first day of school" photo!

I should also mention that I received such a sweet card from my friend Laura, about an hour before I went in. She gave me a funny and sweet pep talk that really helped me feel good about the whole teaching thing. I also received texts from most of my family. I would have felt silly if I freaked out, so I kept my calm and just went on with my business. I made my copies, set up the projector and started my class.

The class was about twice the size I had originally thought it would be, but that was just fine by me. I eased them through the syllabus and prehistory through the ancient near east, yikes! More importantly nobody fell asleep, ran away screaming, or anything like that. I let class out a bit early, feeling great about the whole experience. Phew, got that done and now I can just focus on being a good teacher!

Now for Bumblebee... she had her surgery yesterday. I took Sam with me to help pick her up at three in the afternoon. She was super druggy...and wearing a cone. We also got to look at her bladder stones, they were kind of fancy. I think perhaps she was trying to make pearls. Anyway the staff was impressed with the stones and asked if I wanted them, I didn't.

coney resting

resting

Sam and I had to double lift the long body of Bumblebee into the car, and out of the car, and up the stairs, you get the idea. She is recovering, but she is uncomfortable. I think she is pretty much just filled with hate for the cone. She gets it caught on everything! Although it sure is sweet to watch Cordelia squat and look into the cone, reaching up to pat Bee on the head. Bum still wags her tail with joy when she sees one of us, in spite of the drugs. I think it may be a long week with the cone, but once this is all behind us we can move forward free of bladder stones, free I tell you!

How was your night?

12 comments:

Gypsy said...

I'm proud of Eric for insisting on the picture...

Poor Bumblebee! We're all looking forward to CONE-REMOVAL-DAY!

affectioknit said...

Congratulations on your first day teaching! I used to teach and I remember the first day jitters well...

...so glad Bumblebee's surgery went well - and hoping for a speedy recovery!

Victoria said...

YOU are too COOL for SCHOOL!!!

Emily said...

Yay! I'm so glad you had a good first day. I'm sure your students are going to learn a lot this year! And I hope Bumblebee continues to feel better every day so she can go on about the important business in life: eating, sleeping, snuggling, etc.

AKM said...

Yes, we needed a first-day-of-school pic! I'm sure you were awesome and those students will learn a lot from you. Good job!

Glad to hear Bumblebee made it through so well. Here's to a quick recovery!

bel said...

Have fun at your new job! We took first-day photos this week too.

Tammie said...

love the first day of school photo and im glad everything went well.

poor bumblebee. our (late) dog Lulu had to wear a cone for a while once and HATED it. she was part rottweilier and already didnt know her size very well so she was constantly running into things. after a while she just started standing in doorways barking at us. it was a joy.

the dwellers said...

The "cone of shame" ... so sad for Bumblebee. (have you seen the movie UP? so good)

Congratulations on your first day of teaching!

Robin said...

I so want to be a student in your class!

Get well soon Bumblebee!

P.S. You look way hot for a teacher. Just saying...

sophie said...

You look so gorgeous for your first day - how do you get your hair so perfect?!

Poor little bumblebee, I'm sending my get better soon thoughts to her!

Maria Rose said...

Sophie, I got my hair trimmed and the lady straightened it because it's actually a bit curly normally.

Momma CupKate said...

LOVE that outfit! So elegant. You're going to have students with crushes...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...