Monday, September 6, 2010

The Thing I Did

ladies_room

Yesterday morning after a hasty breakfast we were out and about and I noticed that my little lady still had food on her face. You know how it goes, you wipe down your baby and think all is clean until you see your child by the light of day and you realize that things hadn't gone as smoothly as you first imagined. Goobers strewn across her face, perhaps a little behind an ear. I did what any good mother would do, I went to clean her up before she could be spotted by general public where they would gasp in horror at my unkempt baby. We stepped into the ladies room where I could give her a quick wipe down with some water and a paper towel.

I assumed we were alone, it smelled kind of bad in there if you know what I mean. Now, first let me say that I have a constant and running dialogue with my daughter, telling her about the world and the things we encounter along the way. I said aloud to Cordelia," Oooo stinky," and then (yep it gets worse, because I think you have guessed where this is going) "Somebody went poopy." You see I was just being an awesome mom, just making sure that Cordelia is open to a wide vocabulary (poopy is a vocabulary word in my book).

Anyway, there was no sound or anything, just a sort of tension and extra silence in the bathroom. Uh oh, you've got it, hidden away in the last stall there was someone! Just hoping for a little peace and quiet, not a running commentary. So, I tossed the wet paper towel into the trash and skee-daddled with Cordelia, making sure that I was nowhere near the bathroom when the mystery lady made her break for it. Ooops. Hopefully she can laugh about it someday. If it was you, I am sorry, but you've got to admit it was pretty funny!

Takeaway lesson: Don't narrate a bathroom visit!

6 comments:

Emily said...

Hahaha! This is a classic story that you will have to tell Cordelia for years to come. My girls think bathroom humor is hilarious. Oh who am I kidding, so do I.

affectioknit said...

That is so funny! It sounds just like something I'd do...

daphne said...

Oh no!! That is so funny, I laughed out loud.

sophie said...

Oh no! So funny!! I was in a public toilet once waiting for Siena to finish (she was about 4) and there were others waiting in there too when all of a sudden Siena started saying "get out" "get out" - she was talking to her poopy! Oh man, was I ever embarrassed!

AKM said...

Heheheh! Ah, we've all done something similar. Too funny!

Anonymous said...

That made me laugh. I invisioned Cordelia's face kinda all scrunched like she was smelling the pooh, and you explaining the whole thing.... that's funny.
paisley

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...