Saturday, September 11, 2010

A Vegan Recpie of Sorts

Well this isn't technically an official recipe, but more of an exodus of the pantry. I kind of love when I look in my cupboards and fridge and think "What on earth am I going to cook?" The challenge is always super fun. Last night I came up with an autumnal meal. I roasted a butternut squash and a quartered onion on 375 for about 45 minutes. Then I scooped out the squash and tossed that with the onion, a can of golden hominy and about 4 cloves of pressed garlic all into the food processor until smooth and creamy (I may have added a little of the soon to be mentioned vegetable stock as I processed it). Then I put the mixture into a soup pot along with a can of vegetable stock, about 1/2 a cup of almond milk, some salt and freshly ground pepper, just a pinch of nutmeg and a couple of bay leaves (pull those out at the end). I let it simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile I looked in the fridge and saw just enough red leaf lettuce and other odds and ends for a nice fresh salad with balsamic vinaigrette. Super simple and super good.

img_0452

5 comments:

Tammie said...

this looks delicious. i love fall food.

Emily said...

What a delicious autumn meal. A+ for passing the "what do I make for dinner?" test!

sophie said...

An absolute favourite for me, I LOVE pumpkin!!

Hey, word verification is 'chive' - perfect with pumpkin soup me thinks!!

affectioknit said...

Sounds like a perfect fall meal!

AKM said...

Man alive, that looks good! I've decided I need an immersion blender to make lots of yummy veggie soups this fall and winter.

Word verification is "ribityll"...is that what a Southern frog says? ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...