Friday, October 8, 2010

28 Years and Some Change

When I was born my parents were living in rural Montana. They had family and a few friends. Their very closest friends had a daughter named Jennifer who was nearly the same age as I was. She and I were best friends, our parents were the best of friends.

Jennifer is my very first memory and I am hers. I haven't seen her since just before my second birthday. Her family moved to Australia and pretty much out of our lives. We lost contact because calling Australia in the 1980s cost approximately a bajillion dollars. I do recall one phone call when I was in elementary school, but mostly I just recall the novelty of talking to someone on the other side of the globe, a tinny sound, a delay, a brief conversation before the phone was handed back to parents. So Christmas cards and letters were the only updates. Life carried on, years passed, and that would seem to be the end of the story...

Jennifer and I
Jennifer (left) and I (right) as tiny tots.

Fast forward to 2009. Jennifer and I reconnected online and we've been talking.

Then, last night I saw her again for the first time in a very very long time. You know it could have been weird, really weird, because we are essentially strangers. For all she knew I could be the owner of the world's largest snail farm (I'm not in case that worried you). Instead it was completely natural, as though we'd always known each other.

Now we're just going to spend the next few days making new memories and hopefully it won't be another (nearly) three decades before we meet up again. I think we need to reciprocate and visit Australia.

6 comments:

Gypsy said...

Don't forget to invite me and Dad when you go to Australia!

Robin said...

Have tons of fun!

Question... who do you think is my first memory person?

Not you, but figured you would know!

I'm sure there is an earlier one, but one I remember most is riding in her blue smurf car. Oh, that thing was awesome!

Maria Rose said...

Brianne???

Momma CupKate said...

Wow! This could be a novel inspiration.

Stacy said...

Aww, very cool! And I knew which one was you in that photo right away. Cordelia has your eyes.

sophie said...

Are you really thinking of coming over? You must come to Sydney, you must!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...