Friday, October 29, 2010

Frightful Things

With Halloween right around the corner I thought I'd share my top 10 list of things that terrify me:

scarysquirrel
  1. Squirrels: I am pretty much terrified of squirrels. I have had a fear of these little devils since childhood. I generally assume that all squirrels are rabid or just crazy. While I have a deep compassion for the plight of all animals in general, I have a serious aversion to being in close proximity to those tiny terrors.
  2. Heights: When I am near anything that could be considered a precipice I feel as though I have no control of my own body. I fear that I may fling myself off, pass out, throw up, you get the idea. I also get incredibly anxious when I see other people too close to an edge.
  3. Driving in cars: We have been hit by many poor drivers, my fear is well-founded with this one!
  4. Getting lost in the deep south: I think this fear comes from too many scary movies. I have also never been to the deep south and in my mind's eye there are a bunch of mutants ready to attack me in the woods. Sorry if you're from the deep south...
  5. Angry bargain hunters: Have you ever been out on Black Friday? Bargain Hunters stampeding to get deals on toys or electronics, it chills the soul.
  6. People with an unhealthy love of cats: I love cats, but there are those people who love cats too much. I once knew a woman called "Cat Lady" and she only wore cat clothes, only bought cat related products, only talked about cats. For Halloween she dressed as...you guessed it...a cat! She really scared me.
  7. Obnoxious gum chewing: My vision of truly unbearable torture would be being strapped down and being forced to endlessly listen to someone chewing their gum obnoxiously. I shudder to think of it.
  8. Hawaii: I had a terrible dream when I was a wee little lass, it involved volcanoes on a Hawaiian Island. When I woke from that dream I swore I would never go to Hawaii. Now I actually kind of want to go to Hawaii so my rules are getting a bit fuzzy, but I can still recall in vivid detail the elements of that dream and I will always be a little scared of that beautiful island state.
  9. Ordering food over the phone: I really hate to do it. Will I place the order correctly? Will I be able to understand the other person on the line? I am not really sure why this is a phobia of mine, but I really start to squirm if I have to be the one making that phone call.
  10. Neck Joint Cracking: I am so freaked out when people grab their own head and twist, cracking a joint. I really don't want to watch them break their own neck, just seems like it could happen. Doesn't it?
What terrifies you?

5 comments:

affectioknit said...

What a fun list! especially the squirrels...

Momma CupKate said...

I can't ever quite tell when you're being sardonic and when you're serious. It cracks me up and I look forward to your blogs each morning.

Emily said...

Haha! Squirrels-- they are a bit creepy, I admit. It's like the know something that we don't know.

My biggest fear involves elevators. I do NOT like to ride in crowded elevators. I've been known to just jump out right before the doors close if I feel it is too crowded. My family is aware of this, so they know I will just find some stairs and meet them later. :)

Sara said...

That is so sad you don't like squirrels. It is such a pleasure to watch them running and climbing. They are my favorite animal and I miss seeing them (no squirrels in Phoenix).

johnson said...

What a fun list! especially the squirrels...

Black Friday ads

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...