Monday, October 18, 2010

Learning "No"

Cordelia understands the word "no," or at least I think she does. When she makes a break for the dog water (which she invariably does a half dozen times a day) she shakes her head, slapping the dog water, and laughs as I say "No, no". I try to be firm and not show the slightest hint of a smile, although admittedly my face does a fairly poor job of hiding my emotions.

Cordelia

I try not to use the word too much because I don't want her to be one of those babies that wanders around chanting "no, no." However my first attempts at laying down the law have been utterly and completely useless. Eric doesn't fare much better; actually he has identical results.

Yesterday evening we were hanging out with my family and Cordelia started to gag herself, which she thinks is hysterically funny until she pukes. Of course I said, "No, no." She did not heed my warning and she did in fact puke all over herself. So, I commandeered the bathtub and gave the little lady a scrub down. When she was all fresh and clean we were sitting in a chair and she started up again, gagging herself and laughing. "No, no," I said, knowing how futile my efforts were I started to grab her hands and keep them from their mischief.

Then my mother intervened with a slight frowny face and said, "No, no," in a gentle but firm tone. Wouldn't you know it, Cordelia stopped her mischief. Instead she screwed up her face, stuck out her lower lip, let some large tears slide down her chubby cheeks, and released a mournful wail. My poor mother felt terrible and I started to laugh hysterically (not my best parenting moment I admit). Cordelia really milked it for about 15 minutes as my mother tried to make amends. Finally the word "no" got through to her.

This morning, as she made her first attempt at the dog water bowl I nervously tried out "No, no," and she just laughed at me and rushed for it. So, who knows what that's all about?

6 comments:

Momma CupKate said...

This brought back so many memories of disciplining Sonny-bunny early on! I laughed at laughed because I remember the first time I "hurt his feelings" with "No!" I felt perfectly Awful. I can't believe I'd forgotten that. Thank you!

kirsten said...

This post made me laugh. My little ones favorite word is "no". Haha
I don't even say it very much, I usually say "don't" but that is with a smile and usually means "do", at least to her :P

AKM said...

Well, I know that when *I* was a kid, I definitely knew what "no" meant, but when Mama said it? Sometimes it got ignored. Now, when Grandma said "no"? Yikes! "Grandma always thinks I'm perfect and adorable, so if SHE'S saying 'no,' I must REALLY be in trouble!" Heheheheh! :-)

Christina said...

I know with Cohen that he understood the word no, but chose to ignore it. He would however listen to my Mother, but I think it is because it is someone different and as they see you every day and have you worked out they know they can get away with things, but they don't know what they're capable of getting away with from others. You just have to persevere I think. We say 'Not for Cohen' or 'Not for eating' so that it's not just a no and he knows why we are saying no. Hope that helps! :)

Emily said...

Kids can sure make some really sad pouty faces when you correct them for the first few times! Lucas can milk it too! And his face is so sad that I usually end up just kissing his cheeks because he is so darn cute-- even when pouting.

Robin said...

If you ask Fritz what G'ma says he goes "No, No!!"!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...