Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Pumpkin Patch

I am not really sure why, but this year I was overcome with a burning desire to go to a pumpkin patch. Generally pumpkins seem to magically appear in our lives because friends give them to us I guess. This year we decided to up the ante and get ourselves to a bonafide pumpkin patch.

Did you know that pumpkin patches also double as photo studios? I wanted a few pictures, but there were several other mothers forcing their children to pose near pumpkins as well. I felt a little creepy, but then I got over it and continued on with my photo shoot, pretending I was the first parent in history to think of it.

I wonder what it is about the human being that fills us with a desire to photograph our babies near pumpkins? I am thinking it has something to do with the roundness of the pumpkin pairing so well with the roundness of a little baby noggin, but that is purely speculation at this point. More research is certainly required before we can call this an exhaustive study and I am already exhausted with it, so feel free to continue the research...

pumpkins and leaves

Eric and Cordelia

sitting by pumpkin

el gordo

carrying pumpkin

stack o pumpkins

pointing at pumpkin

Holding pumpkin

We picked out a huge pumpkin only to realize that it was like $10 and we're just a bit too thrifty. So we downsized to two small pumpkins and patted ourselves on the back. Cordelia, noticing the similarities between a pumpkin and a ball, immediately began to obsess over the pumpkins, so they've been stashed away in the laundry room until we are ready to carve them.

12 comments:

E.K. said...

"You're jealous of me.... Maybe it's because when I put on these skinny jeans, my ass looks like a baby pumpkin." — Pierce (Chevy Chase), to his bandmate, on Community"

moonmother said...

I don't know what it is either but they sure do make great photos. She's getting only cutter and I like Eric's shirt.

Laloofah said...

Sweet! What a fun and festive post! I'm glad you "forced" Cordelia to pose with the pumpkins (she doesn't look like she was really having to endure much, lol)... the photos of her are precious. And I love pumpkins and pumpkin patches, looked like you enjoyed a perfect day for frolicking in one. And your narrative made me chuckle. (As did that quote E.K. shared!) :-)

Robin said...

We are going to go to one this year too! (hopefully anyway)

..... Carmen said...

Fun! I took the kids to a pumpkin patch when I was out on the West Coast :) So much fun. I tormented them with a photo shoot as well ;)

Helena said...

They look delicious! But I'm sure the little ones taste better than the big. (Guess I'm still hungry although we just had supper... ;-))

beautifulladybird said...

I really love the angle of the first photo. and, great case for your kindle from yesterday; I have been reading a ton lately with the all the nursing session with the babe

AKM said...

Yep, I think you hit the nail on the head...it's the roundness -- and cuteness -- factor. Pumpkins and babies are both round and cute, so there you have it. ;-)

Cordelia looks like she really had fun! It cracks me up that she thinks pumpkins = balls to be thrown. Heh heh.

elizabeth said...

i have never photographed my children by pumpkins . . . in piles of leaves, though . . . yep. and there was a bit of coercing that had to go into it . . . funny.

here's to many more happy fall days!

Keia Kato-Berndt said...

These photos are so adorable!

Momma CupKate said...

A) We adore pumpkins (they're my favorite vegetable.)
B) When Sonny-bunny was 2 months old, I cleaned out a HUGE pumpkin and took picture of him IN the pumpkin. He wasn't unhappy about it, but that perplexed look babies have their first few months on Earth fit the situation perfectly!

sophie said...

I love the photos, what beautiful colours!! I saw some HUGE pumpkin at the supermarket yesterday (I think for Halloween coz they were massive) selling for $26!!! Holy Cow! Just to be carved up and put outside.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...