Tuesday, November 9, 2010

What Sacrifice?

Last night was a long night, actually this past week (month) has been full of long nights. The kind of long nights that only other parents can ever truly understand.

Cordelia asleep

I found myself pulled from slumber, slipping down a tunnel from a dream and back into reality. For a moment I was accosted with sound that seemed to mingle with my last dream (last night I was in the midst of a dream about a cool new art/hang out place called Harf Anng) and I couldn't place the sound. Oh yes, it hit me, I am a mother and that sound was my little lady. She's been struggling with teething lately and apparently it's most troublesome to her at night.

I sat up just enough to catch a glimpse of the sickly green light of the clock telling me it was only just after midnight. I knew I was in for it. I soothed her and got her back to sleep and was just drifting off again when the cycle repeated. Over and over every couple of hours. I finally gave up around 6am.

I took Cordelia out to the couch where we just sat there in a daze, under the glowing yellow lights of the two lamps I turned on. The heater rumbled to a start and breathed its warm breath over us, enhancing the strange mood of the morning.

Eventually we roused enough to begin our day. I did the math and realized I probably patch-worked together about 6 hours of sleep, enough for me to function on. I reminded myself that parenthood is about sacrifice and then it hit me...what exactly am I sacrificing? I spent the night cuddling the most precious gift. I get to be her mother. I am the one and only that gets this wonderful job. I am just so thankful that I am here, that I get to be the one to comfort her in the night, to snuggle her in the morning.

6 comments:

moonmother said...

Hey lady, the joys of sleeplessness that's what I'm going to chalk your cheer disposition up to..lol
There are these teething tablets, well there actually balls. All natural I even think you can get them at Walmart. I can't remember the name but if you ask the pharmacist she'll likely know. They are a god send. you can mix them in her bottle or just give her oral. I'll admit this to you though, I did spread a little whiskey on their gums once just to see and it worked like a charm. But I don't really see you as the whiskey drinker, but then again who knows..lol
Hope she gets back to sleep-full nights soon

affectioknit said...

Awww! Bless your hearts...

Momma CupKate said...

I've been sleeping an average of 3 hours a night for months, and this post hit home. Thank you for reminding me what my priorities Should be.

Elle (thewaybyelle.blogspot.com) said...

I understand completely! Our son didn't sleep through the night until he was nearly 2 years old. It was awful. It seemed like no matter what we tried to do, he still wouldn't sleep.
Thankfully, I stay at home with him, so I didn't miss any work because of it.
I hope she is doing better. :)

eLiZaBeTh said...

I love this picture of your little lady...you are a wonderful momma:)

bel said...

So true! And the photo seems so perfect, too. It's such a relief when your baby is struggling but finally makes it to sleep, even for a moment.

Good luck!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...