Monday, December 20, 2010

Goodbye Grandma Rose

Last night my Great Grandmother Rose passed away. She was an independent woman and she passed on her own terms, in her own bed with family close by.

Rose Mackey McLaughlin2

Where do I start? How can I tell you how much this woman has meant to generations? How can I express how deeply she was loved, how much she will be missed?

Rose Mackey McLaughlin1

She grew up as a homesteader a real homesteader. She was educated, worked, raised a family, she loved, she lost, she had so much. She watched her family grow and grow and grow. She was there in good times and bad. She made each and every one of us feel important and loved (and there are many of us--she was a great great grandmother to many).

Rose Mackey McLaughlin3

Her home was the family home. Many family members lived there at some point or another. Her house, with its red carpet and black couch, was a childhood playground to many of us. The growth chart on the wall, the toys, the artwork of grandchildren, the photos.

Rose Mackey McLaughlin5

She was an elegant woman, kind, graceful, loving. She was always a hostess, always the heart of the family.

5 Generations

Last night as I looked down on Cordelia, sound asleep I wondered about her future. I thought that one day, nearly a century ago my Great Grandma Rose probably lay in her own mother's arms while my Great Great Grandmother looked down on her baby and wondered about the future of her little Rose. I am sure that she dreamed that her daughter would live a long and full life, surrounded by love--and she did.

Grandma Rose

While me heart is aching I am so thankful that so many generations came to know and love this wonderful woman. I am sad because she is gone, but happy that her story was so filled with love.

Goodbye for now Grandma Rose, I love you.

16 comments:

Gadish Lollipop said...

condolences to you and your family

affectioknit said...

Comfort and Peace be with you...I'm so sorry for your loss...

Momma CupKate said...

That was a beautiful tribute that permitted those of us who follow your blog to (once again) feel a part of your life. Robert Cody once said, "Have the courage to live; anyone can die." It sounds as if your Grandma Rose embodied that very quote with her life.

Stacy said...

So sorry for your loss.

Mason-Jezek Journal said...

Maria, so sorry to hear about Grandma Rose. That was a lovely tribute to a woman who meant so much to you. We love you very much and will be sending our love your way. Andy, Anne and Kew

Tammie said...

im so sorry for your loss maria rose. she sounds like she was a truly awesome woman.

Blossom said...

I am so sorry for your loass, but you are so lucky to have known her, and she was lucky to have you. Rest In Peace, Grandma Rose.

AKM said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. What a perfect tribute to your Grandma Rose, who, like the rest of the women in her family, was beautiful inside and out.

Emily said...

I am so sorry for your family's loss, Maria. I think you also have her elegant, yet independent spirit. And I am sure your little Cordelia Rose does too. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

..... Carmen said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Maria. Your family is in my thoughts.

the dwellers said...

Beautiful tribute, Maria. What a blessing to have had such a dear relationship.

Keia Kato-Berndt said...

I am sorry for your loss, your grandmother sounds like she was an incredible woman.

Robin said...

That is very sad news to hear. What a wonderful woman she surely was! Hugs to you all.

Genevieve said...

I am so sorry, you & your family will be in my thoughts.

K. said...

Awwww....thinking of you and your family. I remember your post about your grandma a while back - an amazing woman!

QuiteaCommonFairy said...

I am so sorry for your loss.
Alex's great grandmother Sarah died the 29th - her funeral was yesterday. It's been quite hard on him. I wish I could give you a comforting hug right now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...