Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A New Knitter

When I read the blogs of you bloggers out there around the world it seems as though many of you have a secret knitters club, apparently there is no crochet club, and you are kind of exclusive. You will nonchalantly mention that you are "casting on" or "binding off" and club members all understand the simple terminology. When I read that, you might as well post a foreign language. My eyes glaze over as I read through posts about knitting technique, method and stitch.

Well, those days are behind me my friend! For Christmas I received this magnificent book, almost the Rosetta Stone of knitting. Just look at the woman on the cover. She looks so pleased with herself and her ability to knit. Now that's self-confidence. I want a piece of that knitter's confidence.

Crochet Book

Thanks to the very simple instruction I have cracked the code. OK, so maybe knitting isn't really all that mysterious considering that I was knitting within minutes and this book is just a normal knitting instructional book. I am also trying something different, a revolutionary idea really, I am reading the directions and not just looking at the pictures.

Needles and yarn

So now I am practicing, again and again before I move on to the next segment of the book. I think this is also a reflection of my personal growth because I tend to have no patience for practice; I am the type who dives into cold water rather than wading and the same goes for nearly everything in my life. I tend to get the gist of things and then just try and figure out the rest as I go along. Usually this kind of works for me, but I hear tell that there is a better way. So I am giving this instructional business my best effort.

The other night I watched (sang along with) The Sound of Music as I practiced my newly learned skills. I have yet to actually make anything since I am still practicing the basics, but I am sure it will come. I am developing my knitters muscles, because my hands are quite wimpy or else they've frozen into crochet position. Soon enough I will be whipping up booties, dog vests and hats with the best of them.

How did you learn to knit?

7 comments:

affectioknit said...

Definitely welcome to the club! very best wishes with your knitting...

Momma CupKate said...

youtube, yo. It was all about youtube for me. Prior to that I pretentiously bought the pretty yarn I found attractive and fetching, guiltily stowed it away in my to-do box. Now I can make scarves, ... ... yeah, that's pretty much it. But I make a mean scarf.

Eat My Words said...

I'm actually doing this very same thing! I bought a new knitter's kit and I'm giving it a shot. I can crochet, but I think knitting is more versatile and looks better, so I'm trying to figure it out. The whole two needle thing is wiggin' me out.

Itchin' Stitchin' said...

I only know how to crochet. I would love to learn how to knit but since I just started this crochet business not long ago I think I will wait.

Keia Kato-Berndt said...

The photo on the cover of that book is FANtastic. I learned to knit from a friend of mine.

Anonymous said...

Knitting is where it's at. If you're not already on Ravelry, I'd highly recommend it. It's great for knitters and crocheters.

..... Carmen said...

Yeah! Can't wait to see all the marvelous things I know you will soon be knitting :) I second the vote to join Ravelry - great place to post up your projects, to get support, and to find free patterns!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...