Saturday, December 11, 2010

Part I: City

When I moved to Wyoming, leaving the city behind I moved to a state where the entire population was less than the city I had been living in. People still ask me how I can bear to be away from the city. They ask what I miss about the city.

City

When I first moved here I pretty much missed nothing about the city. I was happy to be away from the hustle and bustle, the anonymity, the traffic, the buildings, the busy-ness of the city. Now that some time has passed I can look at it without being so invested and there are indeed some things that I did love about the city:

  • Seeing shows: museums, galleries, concerts, etc.
  • Possibilities: there was always a sense that anything could happen (good or bad).
  • My job (just a bit). I really enjoyed my co-workers and being part of the government, meeting with the people who were making things happen. Although I wasn't passionate about it I did have some fun.
  • Vegan Opportunities: Oh this is the hardest part about living away from the city. Access to veg restaurants, grocery stores that carried things like seitan, tempeh, tvp, etc.
  • Our apartment, it was nice.
However, I think that I am not really a city person. Do you know what you are? City or country?

5 comments:

affectioknit said...

I too have lived in cities bigger than ND's population - and the thing I miss most is probably the access to vegan food and restaurants - that's why when we visit family each summer I always bring back a bunch of vegan goodies...other than that I'm definitely a small town kinda girl...

Robin said...

City girl. But...maybe it's where I grow up, I will always be a country girl at heart.

Tammie said...

oh im definitely a city gal. being in the country leaves me feeling stifled.

Emily said...

It's funny-- I like to live in a city, but vacation to the country. I guess that means mainly I'm a city girl, but with a part of my heart devoted to the country too.

AKM said...

I'm a bit of both. I'd like to be out West near both a big city (Denver, maybe?) and natural areas.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...