Thursday, March 10, 2011

How it is

Yesterday I picked Eric up from work. I had the whole crew with me. Cordelia was in her car seat hugging her stuffed koala bear named Jennifer (named after our friend Jennifer who gave it to her--we say her name with an Australian accent). Bumblebee was buckled in too. She was whining loudly---so obnoxiously---as we approached Eric's place of employ. I have taken to pretending that Bumblebee's whine is a siren and that kind of helps take the edge off. Kind of.

We pulled up in front of Eric's work and he came walking out the back door. He was dressed in a suit as he'd had a museum event earlier in the day. He looked so handsome, he had no idea. I chuckled to myself-- seeing my handsome husband coming out of a WWII building on the windswept plains of Wyoming, antelope ran off into an adjacent field. Further down the road I could see the semi truck driver in training as he tried to maneuver his large vehicle around a series of cones in another field. Who would have known that we would end up here and now?

Cordelia called out a joyus "Daddy" as Eric hopped into the car, adjusting his empty lunch box (do we call them lunch boxes as adults?). He turned to greet his youngest admirers. Bumblebee's whines reached their jubilant peak, coming primarily from some deep recess of her nasal cavity and going supersonic. He looked at me and smiled that smile. We settled in to talk about our day as we drove around, making a few stops on our way home. The conversation never let up. We were so happy to be reunited, our little family complete (with the exception of two cats snoozing under our bed at home).

We were both in a mood to marvel at this strange journey we're on together. What started out all of those years ago as just a boy and a girl is now something more. We have a life together. We have shared dreams, supported dreams. We have dependents. Somewhere along the way we started to grow up. Yet, there we were--just the two of us (with some new additions) going through life together. That is how it is.

fleur

How is it for you?

7 comments:

Momma CupKate said...

I love reading your blog. I look forward to every new post; sometimes, though, I feel extra satisfied after reading certain posts. Today, this was one of Those posts.

E.K. said...

Jenn-ee-fa. Wow, not only can I say it with a beautiful Australian accent, but I can even spell it with one.

Maria Rose said...

Thank you Momma CupKate!

elizabeth said...

aren't moments like this the best?
and i'm with mommacupkate, i love reading the posts about your family, because i think you all feel about each other the way we do at our house. :) and it makes my heart happy.

sophie said...

I felt a little melancholy reading your post as our lives have become complicated and the days longer. Andrew has been home at 11pm for the past month, and then leaving at 7 the next day. He has a big project on so I have been parenting solo. I am looking forward to the days when we can eat together again, and the girls miss their daddy so much!!

Robin said...

Lovely.

singlemama said...

well, my new life has recently begun. and it's quite strange and new and sometimes difficult as well.
but it's difficult for me to remember something when we were 3 similar to what you've described in this post... and in the end I know I feel better now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...