Saturday, March 5, 2011

In Between Spaces

Earlier in the week my yoga teacher was discussing the places in between yoga poses, meaning the transition from one pose to another. She mentioned that they were just as important as the poses themselves. Of course she was talking about form and keeping focus within a yoga practice...

Since then I have been thinking about how that idea really has greater implications. I have been thinking about how I tend to jump from one project to another, not really paying attention to that time in between. How important it is and how it can be just as defining, if not more so, than the projects I tackle.

Space

I am about to approach another in between time, after completing my thesis (Eric and I applied for graduation) and our art show at the end of the month. I want to handle the time afterward, the space in between projects, with strength and focus before I fling myself into another project. So right now I am busy finishing little projects and odds and ends that I have sitting around (sewing, crafting, art, business, taxes, etc.) so that I can end March with a big breath of fresh air as I contemplate my next move.

How do you handle the spaces in between?

6 comments:

Momma CupKate said...

When I was in ballet, I used to hear this also. I never thought to apply it to life. Very thought-provoking. Especially in a society which values the constant action.

Kathryn Ashcroft said...

Hmmmm... you have set me off on a train of thought... xx

Lady Bird said...

I have been thinking about this recently as it applies to home-making .... in that, how do I transition from one section of my day to another?

Keia Kato-Berndt said...

This is such a great post because I think that everyone can identify that the in between time in the middle of a transition is often the most tension filled. I tend to day dream during that time...but I need to be better about that! Good luck on your thesis and show, I know it is going to be fabulous!

singlemama said...

oops... I really must think about such an answer...

Tammie said...

sometimes the spaces in between stress me out. like im anxious and waiting for the other shoe to drop. occasionally i remember to enjoy the restful period though.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...