Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Organizing My Thoughts on Parenting

Before I was a parent I had ideas about what kind of a parent I wanted to be. Mostly my ideas were vague (I will be a parent, not a friend), but there were a few that were extremely specific (I will not force my child to eat canned green beans). Now that I am an actual mother I feel that the choices and decisions that swirl around parenthood are often difficult to wade through. I am trying to figure all of this out as I go.

I do have a few ideas that I feel strongly about, but most things fall into an in between area, one that has no real clarity.

One thing that I have discovered is that I really appreciate simple toys. We have found that beeps, lights and buzzers lose their pizazz after a day or two, but toys like blocks are endlessly fun and Eric and I can enjoy them with her.

Blocks 6

Bee
Bumblebee does not care about blocks, but she will chew them we have discovered.

Blocks5

C with blocks

Blocks4

Blocks3

Do you have specific ideas on parenting? Do you let your kids watch TV? Play video games? Have cell phones? I am curious.

10 comments:

affectioknit said...

I guess we're of the 'all things in moderation' camp...we do allow some tv...and Scout got a cel phone for Christmas - but we got a plan with limited texting - only 500 a month - as that sounded like a reasonable amount of time for an almost teenager to spend texting...I guess we arrived at this philosophy from my years as a high school teacher...it seemed that the kids whose parents forbade a certain thing were the ones who got in trouble for trying to get that thing...

the mountain fox said...

Our dog chews the wooden blocks too! In general we don't let her watch tv but we have some dvds that she watches....she LOVES nemo at the moment. I had thought we'd have no tv at all but we really enjoy watching films with her. Lego is the big hit around here...

..... Carmen said...

Like you, we are figuring it all out as we go. Grace is only allowed to watch TV while Aidan naps - we don't like the wee ones to be around the TV. I think we didn't have Grace watch any until she was close to 2. They must sit a the table to eat, and we don't let them wander around with snacks. If they don't finish their meal, if they are hungry a little while later, they are welcomed back to finish their meal. These are just a few. I know as the kids get older these will all change and evolve, but I think we are setting up the stepping stones now for expectations of them later on.

singlemama said...

I love simple toys, I let him watch just a little bit of tv an only one channel where there'are only cartoons for very little kids. and I'm not for playstation, video games and cell phones.

singlemama said...

for you.

http://singlemamafranny.blogspot.com/2011/03/leccezione-exception.html

I love your blog.

:-)

singlemama said...

for you.

http://singlemamafranny.blogspot.com/2011/03/leccezione-exception.html

I love your blog.

:-)

Emily said...

I'm in the moderation camp too. We let the girls watch a little TV (we like PBS Kids) and we have Family Movie Night every Friday. I'm totally with you on the toys-- the simple ones always stand the test of time. Looks like you have found some great blocks for Cordelia!

sophie said...

My parenting changes as the years go by. We have a few rules that never change, such as, always eat together and at the table. Bed times never change except for very special occasions, Siena and Lu must do their homework before TV. I know I let Lu watch too much TV when she was little so I could breastfeed Eva, I tried to encourage reading and drawing but sometimes you just have to do what is easiest!

Robin said...

Besides simple toys... my rule is to not have LOTS of toys. Kids can entertain themselves with pretty much anything so why buy the entire isle of toys?

But... we do watch too many cartoons in the morning when Momma has her coffee. ;)

Reagan Caldwell said...

My husband and I love wooden toys of all sorts. I try to offer toys outside of gender, just to liven it up. Evie has 50% girl toys and 50 % boy toys. I love the way she wears a tutu dress and pushes her fire engine around the house. She's pretty sure that she is not a girl, but spiderman, however some days she is a puppy too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...