Monday, April 4, 2011

About Books

I admit that I have a Kindle and I love it. Yes, I do know that there are some of you who refuse to use such an abomination. I think some of you consider this to be another slippery slope into techno madness (techno madness is an awesome term I just invented-feel free to borrow it). I totally understand reasons for refusing the Kindle, but I have taken a middle of the road approach to the issue. Here are some of the pros and cons that I have discovered in case you care to know my thoughts on the issue:

Pros:
  • No trees killed. Limited use of resources.
  • Money goes to fewer people, cutting prices.
  • I can only buy one copy...meaning that other people have to buy a book rather than borrow it from me (kind of the same as music sharing isn't it--and we call that stealing--why is it OK with books?).
  • I own fewer physical possessions.
Cons:
  • I can't share books in the way I had previously done, even if it kind of feels like stealing.
  • I worry about bookstore owners.
  • I sometimes miss the feel of a book, the smell.
  • Books themselves can be works of art which cannot be fully experienced through an e-reader.

Generally I use my Kindle for books that I will probably read once or twice (flavor of the week books if you will) and then I have a still enormous library of long term books. Books that I use as reference or research. Books that are treasures. I also like to grab how to books. For some reason I really prefer those to be in a physical format too. Generally I keep books that are heavy because I really like to move with boxes and boxes of books (we've moved 6 times in the past 6 years and we're about to move again).

When we made a family trip to the annual library book sale we kept it simple; books for Cordelia, art books, and how to books. I mentioned that we escaped with only a bagful of books (just what we need before a move). Here are a few of our most recent literary acquisitions...

IMG_4683
I am totally obsessing about gardening in my own garden!

IMG_4689
We grabbed Cordelia a counting book. She knows all of the numbers 1-10 with the exception of 7. For some reason she refuses to say 7. *Yes that is her blue coat and a wicked case of bed head.

IMG_4684
More gardening

IMG_4685
This is an awesome vintage sewing book with tons of ideas that I can't wait to try out!

IMG_4686
Oh, look at that more gardening...

I have been poring over our new books by day and reading my Kindle in bed before I go to sleep at night. I think I've found a healthy balance between the old and new.

Are you on the e-reader train or are you a book hugging purist?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your bargain book selections!

Like you, I'm still hugging my books whilst reading some things on my Kindle. Books that I will want to read over and over will always have a home with me. I kind of use my Kindle like the library, and I've mostly been reading the freebies. I've gotten everything from the Bible, to classics, to cookbooks. Don't know if that'll change and I'll start buying more ebooks in the future...we'll see.

I read somewhere that a site is coming where people will somehow be able to share the ebooks they buy for Kindle, Nook, etc. Not exactly sure how it will work...

Anne Marie

AKM said...

Love the blue coat and bed-head!

I think I'm with you, in that I want some real books and I'm also interested in getting an e-reader. I love the idea of being unfettered and simplified with an e-reader, but I love turning pages, too. ;-)

rainblissed said...

Book hugging purist here. But, I appreciate your "Pro" list. It's just that I'm old and reading on screens often gives me headaches. Plus I'm a techno-madness-fearing Luddite ;-).

elizabeth said...

i am totally laughing about the moving thing.
ben and i moved 9 times in the nine years we've been married.
the last time we moved, as we were packing boxes and labeling them, ben had the marker and wrote HEAVY-BOOKS on one and MORE STINKIN' BOOKS on another. i don't know how many boxes of books we moved. and i even had weeded some out . . .

Holly said...

Book hugging purist here! I also work in publishing so I can't away from books. A lot of stuff is going digital, but for me, there is nothing like curling up on the couch with a blanket and a good book.

Dawn said...

I love my Kindle but I made the mistake of buying a cookbook on it. Big mistake. I read cookbooks like novels and love the pictures. Just can't get that on the Kindle. Bought the BF a Kindle for Christmas and he's a total convert too. There we are on the couch on a rainy afternoon with our noses in our "books". It helps to have a hard cover holder, kind of gives you that book holding feeling.

Robin said...

Love books! But I have been thinking about getting and e-reader.

Momma CupKate said...

Sonny-bunny wasn't interested in 7 either.

Daphne said...

Can I just say that one time we moved with FIFTY boxes of books? Yes. Fifty. After that move, we cut it down to about twenty. Last time, was about 15 boxes of books. But now we are at a state where we are missing some of the books we got rid of, so it's time to *carefully* restock, just the ones we really miss.

I appreciate how a Kindle could be totally useful, but I haven't gotten there yet. Mostly because I am really cheap and get most of my books from the library. :)

Clare said...

Kindles are cool! But I still love books...Have you read Raffaella Barker? She is a UK writer, and I just can't get enough of her-funny funny, smart and beautiful writing. Look for "Hens Dancing". You'll love it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...