Saturday, April 9, 2011

Baby Brother

I was 12 when my youngest brother was born. A lifetime between us in childhood years at least. I always knew our relationship would be different. At first I felt like his mother (don't misunderstand his real mother was perfect and did all of the real work) mostly because we were at such very different developmental places.

For the last (almost) 18 years I have watched that gap narrow. Sam has grown. He is taller than, well everybody. He is just about to graduate. He is nearly an adult. How did it happen? Where is that little brother that I used to tote around on my hip? Now he is the brother who plays with my daughter, has long conversations with me about the world at large. He is becoming his own man.

sammariacord

Yesterday afternoon Eric, Cordelia and I met Sam at the park to take his senior photo. While Eric was snapping away I had time to just look at my youngest brother and marvel at him. He is on the brink of change. What an exciting, and frightening, time. I remember it all too well, even though it was 12 years ago...I hope that he finds real happiness and fulfillment in his life.

7 comments:

Susan S said...

Oh, that brought tears to this momma's eyes! I love the photo, but I did notice that Cordelia is the most mature one in the picture.

Emily said...

My mom has a brother 13 years younger than her and she has such a soft spot in her heart for him. I hope that my girls always have a special sibling friendship with their little brother as you do with yours and my mom does with hers. What a gift that is!

Lindsay said...

I'm so grateful for this post. My biggest fear is my daughter having a strange relationship with her brother and sister (my husbands children from a previous marriage). Finley is 1 and the other two are 11 and 15. This calms my fears in knowing that the gap will close as time goes on and eventually they will be thinking the same thoughts you are thinking about with Sam.

affectioknit said...

That is so sweet...and the rabbit ears are a family tradition for us too...they appear in practically every family photo...hehe...

Pam Brewer said...

I thought you were about to say that Cordelia is going to have a baby brother!

Maria Rose said...

Ha ha, no news like that Pam!

singlemama said...

me too like pam ... :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...